Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
My Device: Curve 3g
My Carrier: Orange

Connected to Wifi - Internet works but not email or BBM

I am currently using my blackberry abroad on a wireless connection to ensure that I do not run up huge data bills.

My Curve 3g is connected to the wi-fi network and allows me to surf the internet with no problems.

However I cannot use my email or BBM, I am unable to send or receive messages with either.  This is very strange as I have used this wi-fi connection before when I was last abroad.

To my knowldege I have not altered any settings.

I would be very greateful if somebody could help me unravel this mystery.

Cheers

Nick

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: O2

Re: Connected to Wifi - Internet works but not email or BBM

There's a major problem affecting lots of Blackberry users, Nick, where we can't get data services over a wifi connection because there is a problem with RIM's BIS. Search threads here for 'BIS wifi' and you'll see what's going on. Rest assured it isn't a fault on your phone.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

HI, I'm facing same problem. I also travel abroad, quate often and I always used my BB Curve 8520 on wifi there. But since last time, it means since this week, it doesn't work. It sais that I'm connected, but only browser works. Email, gtalk, facebook and twitter don't work. I haven't changed any options.

Since I was abroad last time, it stoped work also on my wifi at home.

Pls help as I need my BB for work.

Thank You.

Jan

Thanks for the info.  I have had a quick look for answers but cannot find anything easily.

Do you know of a way to fix this problem?

Cheers

NIck

Contributor

It's a problem with RIM's BIS servers, not the phones. There isn't anything any of us can do. Wait, maybe complain to RIM or your service provider, but until they fix the issue we won't be able to connect.

Contributor

@Janko5 Those services rely on BIS, and right now you don't have a connection to BIS over wifi. If you are back home, is your service provider's mobile network connected? You should get email over that, so maybe try re-registering your handset for email services (using the 'email setup' app). You could try accessing twitter over a web browser or UberSocial, which is still working on my handset, rather than the official twitter app, which uses the BIS connection.

OK, thanks for your help.  Much appreciatted.  

Its a bit of a pain, compsoong my letter of complaint now Smiley Happy

Cheers

Nick

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for answeres. Now I know that I can't fix it alone and I just have to wait until they fix it.

Now I'm on my provider's network and it works there but tommorow I'm going abroad again. So I hope they will fix it soon.

Thanks for help.