Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jdeischer
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

Connecting to Computer Issue

I just recently tried to connect my curve to my computer but have had some problems.

I installed the latest version of the desktop manager, and have googled to try everything to fix this.  

I took out the battery while the phone was still plugged in and when I pt the battery back in the USB not recognized message.

After finally giving up I decided to try my sisters phone, exactly same model and everything in the About screen is the exact same and it worked perfectly on my computer

In the media card screen we are both on

Media Card Support: On

Mass Storage Mode Support: On

When connected: Prompt

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

New Contributor
jdeischer

Re: Connecting to Computer Issue

About: 8330 

v 4.3.0.127

Also when its plugged in, it will charge just fine through the computer 

New Contributor
bogey00
My Device: Bold 8900

I also encountered this problem yesterday.  I downloaded Desktop Manager for Mac on my wife's computer to back up her contacts on her 8320 Curve.  I just got her the 8900 and want to transfer all her contacts with the manager.  I connect the 8320 via USB and it the phone charges but it's not recognized by the software.  She mentioned that she tried to sync it with her PC at work a few months ago.  Would trying to sync the phone with her PC have anything to do with not being able to sync it now with a MAC?  I know some external hard drives that are either synced with a PC or Mac not both.

Thanks.

Forums Veteran III
IrwinII
My Device: Bold 9930 7.1.0.163 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums jdeischer! :smileyhappy:

A couple of places for you to visit: Blackberry 101     Tips & Tricks

Try this.  Disconnect your BB from the pc and do a battery pull.  Reboot the pc while your BB is restarting.  Once the pc has rebooted, start DM and then reconnect your BB.  See what happens and post back.

Happy to have you here! :smileyvery-happy:

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Forums Veteran III
IrwinII

Hi and welcome to the forums bogey00! :smileyhappy:

A couple of places for you to visit: Blackberry 101     Tips & Tricks

I'm not familiar with the Mac myself, but can point you in this direction:  BB for MAC

Happy to have you here! :smileyvery-happy:   Let us know how it goes.

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
New Contributor
jdeischer

Thanks for the tips & tricks link and the 101 found some of that useful, but restarting the computer and taking out the battery didn't work

Forums Veteran III
IrwinII

Ok cool jdelscher.  A little progress with the tips and trick link.  :smileyvery-happy:

Tell me more.  Exactly what problems are you having when you connect your device.  Error messages? No connection or recognition of device?  Details please. 

Also let us know:

Device OS - options-about, 3rd line down will read v4.x.x.xxx

DM version - in lower left of DM homescreen

PC OS - XP, Vists, Win7

IrwinII
New Contributor
jdeischer

Should that be something different than what was in my 2nd post?

The v4.3.0.127

DM v 5.0.1

My OS is windows 7

When I plug the curve into the computer the charging icon appears on the curve, nothing happens with the computer.  I open up the DM and it says please make sure your device is connected before beginning.

Under my devices in the my computer there is nothing listed

I tried just about everything I could searching the web about this problem.

I uninstalled the DM rebooted computer, reinstalled. 

I downloaded the USB drivers for BB from the website.

While the device was plugged in I took out the battery and when I put it back in finally an error message came up that said this device is not recognized.  But quickly after that the error went away and nothing happened.

I was trying to figure out what was going on when I borrowed my sisters USB cable that came with the blackberry, I was just using a generic one.  That didn't help anything but I also tried her phone and it worked perfect.

I plugged it in, the computer made the sound as if I device had been plugged it.  On the blackberry it prompted me to see if I wanted to use this device as a mass storage device.  The DM opened just fine but I didn't sync anything.

So I know its something with my phone but I went through just about every option comparing it to my sisters(also a curve) and I can't find any options that are different.

Forums Veteran III
IrwinII

Yes you are correct.  You had already provided the info I was asking for.  Sorry about that.  Working too many threads. 

Make sure you are using a usb cable  that is plugged into one of the back usb ports; not a front, hub or monitor port.  Also take a look at this kb:  DM cannot detect BB

Look at cause 16 - make sure you are running with full administrator rights in Win7  You should also have installed DM as administrator as well. 

Next option is to look at your usb connection on the BB, but you say you can charge through it.  Searching...........

IrwinII
New Contributor
jdeischer

Thanks for the link again, but I had tried that before and just did again with no luck.

Thought it may have been something simple with my phone since my sisters phone worked immediantly I figured it wasn't something with the USB port/ USB cable/ DM

Oh well, may just have to go without which kind of sucks