Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
colchon
My Device: BB Curve 8320

Connectivity with a Mac: When the BB Curve battery is full it won't connect with my Mac

Moreover, if my Curve is charging and the battery becomes fully loaded, it will automatically disconnect (via USB) from my G5 Mac. My computer will then flash a warning that the (device) Curve has been improperlu disconnected, etc.. etc...

Does anybody knows anything about this issue?. It appears that it can only connect while the battery is charging. No good.

Please use plain text.
mpower
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Connectivity with a Mac: When the BB Curve battery is full it won't connect with my Mac

I am having a difficult time getting the BB Desktop loaded and also, getting an error msg when connecting the BB to the Apple computer.  My message states USB charging current is not sufficient.  So are you saying the BB has to be charging while the USB is connected to the computer ?

By the way, my BB is never fully charged.  The battery symbol is always half. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
htankin
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Connectivity with a Mac: When the BB Curve battery is full it won't connect with my Mac

I had a boatload of issues getting my 8330 to synch with iMAC. Apart from making sure I had the latest driver for the 8330 and Pocketmac...it turned out that I could not synch if I used a USB hub. Once I connected directly to the USB port on the iMAC all was (and continues to be) fine.

Harry 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
PocketMacAnne
My Device: 8300

Hi!

When using a Mac, you MUST have PocketMac installed and open in order to charge the BlackBerry. And yes, the BlackBerry pulls a lot of juice, so it cannot be connected to a USB hub (unless the hub has its own electricity source). Likewise, a keyboard or other peripheral USB port typically won't have enough power. So, you should plug it into the Mac itself, or into a powered hub that is directly connected to the body of the Mac (not the keyboard, etc.)  There is no "reason" it should disconnect itself ever once it's fully charged.  I am not certain from your post if you are using PocketMac or not, but if you ARE, please don't hesitate to work with our support team to rule out any odd installation issues before returning the device. (URL in my signature below).

If you haven't done so already, your device probably needs the new patch because it was released AFTER PocketMac was posted.  Here's how you get that done:

First, visit the download page: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/mac.jsp

and start the download process again. As you move to the download screen, select PocketMac V4.0.20b for BlackBerry. Then, on the next screen, you have two program choices to download.

You have probably already downloaded the first one, under the heading "PocketMac v4.0.20b for BlackBerry." If you have erased it, go ahead and download it again.

Since you have one of the newest devices (like the 8110, 8120, 8130, 8310 or 8330), you may also need to download the patch that allows you to connect to those as well. That patch is on the same page, under the heading, "PocketMac Driver update -- DriverUpdate.dmg."

TO INSTALL:
1. IMPORTANT: Disconnect your BlackBerry from your Macintosh.
2. If you uninstalled PocketMac for BlackBerry, reinstall the main program now.
3. When the installer is finished, you will be prompted to restart. DO NOT click the restart button.
4. Install the Driver Update file please, this installer will complete very quickly.
5. Finally, restart the Macintosh now that the software application and driver updater installers have been completed.

After the restart is complete, please launch PocketMac for Blackberry, then plug-in your BlackBerry handheld. Click the Sync button to begin the synchronization session.

If you still can't connect, here are some steps you can perform to make sure the new patch is installed correctly:

1. Please unplug your BlackBerry and count to 60 seconds. This allows the
driver to completely release. (Likely, the driver wasn't released last time you tried installing the patch, so the new one didn't install correctly.)

2. Please open Finder, and locate the following folder: MacintoshHD/System/Library/Extensions/.

3. Within the "Extensions" folder, you will see a list of .kext files. scroll down the very long list, and locate the two files that start with "BlackBerry" files.

4. Please remove both of these files from your Mac: "BlackBerry.kext" and "BlackBerryUSBDev.kext". You will need your Apple Administrator user account password to remove these files from the Extensions folder. After you do so, empty your trash, please.

6. Install the driver again. After you've finished the installer/driver package, please restart your Macintosh.

7. Finally, plug-in your BlackBerry handheld, then launch PocketMac for BlackBerry. The PocketMac Sync Manager should now be able to find your BlackBerry.

---------------
Have a great day!
Anne M.
PocketMac Team
Direct support available for PocketMac for BlackBerry FREE at http://tinyurl.com/RIMsupport
Please use plain text.