Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
geoff3h
My Device: Curve 9302

Contact backup

Hi,

I'm about to send my BB away for repair (the sixth time in the calendar year). Last time I backed up my contacts, by doing a FULL BACKUP it didn't include my CONTACTS. I have about 400 on my phone and don't have the time to copy these manually onto the SIM Card. However, when I tried to RESTORE from backup it didn't include my CONTACTS. I don't want to lose them, some are just phone numbers, others have emails and addresses and the majority are included on my gmail account contacts.

What is the safest way to make sure that the contacts on my Blackberry are backed up, because there seems to be no way of verifying that the contacts are backed up from the choices on the Backup screen?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Geoff

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Contact backup

Hello,

The "best" process is the Desktop Software...see the link in my auto-sig for detailed instructions. But, I'm concerned about what you say about the Contacts not being backed up or restored? How, exactly, do you know that the contacts were not backed up? I can see how you'd know they were not restored (e.g., there would be no contacts on the device after the restore), but how do you know they were not backed up?

Further, are you using an OTA service (e.g., Google) to sync your contacts? If so, then that overrides the Desktop Software backup/restore process as the Google servers are considered the "master" data source, not the device itself.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
geoff3h
My Device: Curve 9302

Hi, Thanks for your reply. How do I now that the Contacts weren't backed up? By a couple of messages. An error message saying that there was a problem with the file and when I looked further on the list of things restored, it had organiser and files but the contacts we greyed out. On talking to the tech support with Virgin they told me that if the contacts were set for wireless sync then they wouldn't be backed up. I didn't now that! That seemed to me to say that backup was anything other than an intuitive process. I ended up with the gmail contacts back on the phone when they synced (after i'd attempted backup) and of course most of them didn't have phone numbers. The contacts I had on the phone that were purely phone contacts had disappeared. Hope that helps, and thanks again for your reply. Geoff
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

What Virgin told you is exactly what I told you above...if you are using OTA sync for Contacts, that overrides all other backup/restore methods. That is just the way it is.

I cannot tell you why some items vanished...they should have synchronized to Google from your device, and therefore caused Google to have the correct "master" data. But for some reason, that seems to not have happened. Perhaps you should have Virgin help you investigate that.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code