Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless
Accepted Solution

Content Protection enabled

I chose to use this feature and went through the procedure in BB tips. It said "initially this may take quite some time".

It's been three days now with the BB locked at night for at least 8 hours each night. I have 1.8gb on the media card.

Is this a normal timeframe?

Thanks in advance.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Content Protection enabled

REALLY BAD IDEA!  Just turn it off!!!
Jerry
Guru I

Why would that be a bad idea? I would like to have my data secured.

Please explain.

Thanks,

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

First, if protection is all you're concerned about, then set a password on the device.  If you're really concerned, set the timeout to a minute or two at most.  Unless you have classified FILES - not your email - on an SD card, Encryption does nothing but slow your device down - but you should know that already.  If you lose your device and it's locked, entering the incorrect password 10 times (you can set it to fewer attempts), the BlackBerry will wipe ALL Data on it and reset itself back to its original factory settings.  This will NOT, however, wipe any data on your SD card.

Also, the encryption key is generated and only available on your BlackBerry.  You can't open a file on your SD card with your computer.  The key is generated when you turn encryption on.  If your device crashes or wiped, the key is gone forever - and so is EVERYTHING on your SD Card.  It's still there, but NOTHING can decrypt it.  If that's the kind of security you really need, then be my guest.

Jerry
Guru I

Jerry D,

You made some very good points, I may rethink this.

Just for the record, I can access the media card from my PC, I just put the pswd in when it flashes on the PC screen and my Curve.

Thanks for the thoughts!  Anybody else?