Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Crash and restart while playing audio book with Media player

Hi,

I'm currently trying to play an audio book (approx. 4 1/2 hours length) ind m4b-format.

This file plays well with iPod, SE K850i and iTunes on Mac.

The file begins tp play properly on my Curve too.

But when I try to go to some part of the book after around 3h or later (by using the scroll bar of the media application),

I sometimes get a prompt telling me, that I'm using a invalid file format (though Media plays it from 0h on without problems).

In addition, the Blackberry freezes, the LED on top lights red and the Blackberry restarts!! Wow!

I can reproduce this with different audio books, all playing well on the other devices I use.

The m4b files are creaated with Audio Book Builder and contain no DRM rights as they are not downloaded from iTunes Store or audible.

I'm using a Blackberry Curve 8310 v4.2.2.176

Micro Edition Media Version 1.1 

Allthough I think that my curve should crash while playing a simple audio book, I would even be glad

if you could lead me to a third-party software which supports audio-books properly, so at least I can

hear my Audio books while there is no patch for the curve available which solces the problem natively. 

Allthough I think that my curve should crash while playing a simple audio book.

Thanks for any help in advance.

CU

elwood070 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Crash and restart while playing audio book with Media player

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any idea?
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Crash and restart while playing audio book with Media player

elwood070 wrote:
I'm currently trying to play an audio book (approx. 4 1/2 hours length) ind m4b-format.

You are talking about a specific audio file format : m4b. It stands for "MPEG4, Part 14", which is not currently supported by the Blackberry Curve. The list of supported file formats, including mp3 and "MPEG4, Part 2", is available here :

Supported media files

I don't know if there is a Blackberry application that can read that m4b format. You can, on your PC, convert the m4b file into a regular mp3 file, then transfert the mp3 file to your blackberry. There are many free tools to do that, I'll give you one : LameDrop. Its a small square, you drag'n'drop your files on it et voilà.

LameDrop

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: