Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Creating folders on BB Curve 8320

Can anyone explain to me what creating a folder and placing it on my home screen would do?  I tested it out and thought maybe I could move or copy photos or other media that I have on the phone to the folder as a means of a shortcut or just so I could access things easier without going through a few menus.  However I don't seem to be able to do anything with the folder after I create it, when I open the folder it has some strange icon inside that is light blue in color with a "+" sign on the lower right hand corner of the folder.  The only thing I seem to be able to do is delete the folder that I created cause nothing else seems to happen.  I thought this would be an obvious thing but apparently it's not for me lol.  Anyone fill me in?

Thanks.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: Creating folders on BB Curve 8320

Far as I know a folder is just used to store apps or games or anything you want so you don't have them junking up your home screen. I use one for games so they are all in one place and one that I call "extras" where I put things like the email setup icon and medianet and all the "shop" icons, just so they are around when I need them but not taking up all kinds of space on my homescreen.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Ah, so if I want to see pics then I need to actually point my lazy ass to the media folder then huh?  OK thanks.:smileyhappy:  This is just another thing that kinda defeats the purpose of creating folders (BB seems to miss things here and there when it comes to how their software works).

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

As far as folders for media, you can create those on your media card. On the home screen I use mine for hidden Icons and like Lorriem for all the email setups. I do not have a + sign on my blue folder, but when I open it I do get a green arrow on the folder icon and it says up on the bottom. As in move up to the home screen. Could this be the + sign you're seeing. As my name implies..These icons are SMALL :smileyhappy:
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

The home screen icons are not a place for storage... think "start up menu like in Windows". From your home screen, you can only click on Blackberry applications : SMS/MMS, messages, Browser... Creating a menu allows you to tidy a bit. For example put in a folder al the applications you never launch. The way I use it : I create a folder, and put everything into it except the Media icon and the "Manage Connections" icon. As i use the Dimention Zen theme, on my home screen I have few clutter.

That being said, the SDcard can be seen as a USB drive : you can put stuff in it (videos, audio, pictures).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: