Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
vince1972
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9300 OS 6
Accepted Solution

Curve 3900 3G

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Just got my new phone yesterday - BlackBerry Curve 3900 3G OS 6 with Orange contract - but have arrived at some problems already. Hope someone can assist me :smileyhappy:

Firstly, I have setup wifi through my home broadband, and that is working well. But occasionally it connects to the net via orange, which i do not wish because i will incur costs on my bill. Is there anyway specifically to make certain I only use my wifi signal? Like turn off orange internet access completely to leave only my home wifi?

Secondly, I cannot access MSN messenger (service is not enabled for this handset).  Also I cannot connect to my NTL email accounts.(When i try to setup email, its asking me to enter my enterprise account.) I dont have or need one, I simply want to enter my home email accounts. But there is no option for this internet email :smileysad:

I read somewhere that i may need to pay an extra £5 to my carrier for internet access. But I dont want thier internet, as I have my own wifi . Surely these issues can be solved somehow?

Many thanks

Vince

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10

Re: Curve 3900 3G

In order to use the push email and IM clients on the blackberry you will need to get the £5 blackberry bolt on.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F
New Contributor
vince1972

Thanks for the reply :smileyhappy:

Ive had a read of that link, alot of stuff im not familiar with, so I will need to look them up. Incidently, if i need the £5 bolt on thing (which i assume is internet access from my mobile contract provider....., whats the point of me using my home wifi then? :Eek: or is the bolt on simple enabling the msn and email withouth internet, im confused.

Wont that be two means of internet access ill have?

On my ipod i set up wifi and away i go, can get emails etc no problem. I think this phone maybe going back for another one :Surrender:

Vince

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10

The £5 bolt on comes with a certain amount of inclusive data, normally 500mb-1gb, to use when out and about. The blackberry bolt on also provides access to the blackberry servers which provide the push email functions
New Contributor
vince1972

[ Edited ]

Ok. Thanks jamead. Selected as solution and gave kudos :smileyhappy:

I emailed orange to see if I am able to return the upgrade as I dont want to pay more on the contract. And without paying more all i have is a phone for txting with a poor camera :smileysad:

Not sure if they allow change of upgrades.. If they phone me I will try haggling for an iphone on the same deal. Probably wont work, but worth a shot I guess.

Many thanks for your time

Vince