Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Regular Contributor
CrypticAzn
My Device: BB Torch 9800 v6.0, Bundle 2647 / BB Desktop Mgr v6.1.0.35 (bundle 34)

Curve 8310 - Content Store, Memory, & private Caller ID

I've got a few questions about my AT&T Curve 8310...

I was looking through "Options > Applications" and saw that the app that took the most memory was "Content Store."  Anyone know what this is, if I can delete it, & what would happen if I did?  Is there any way to shrink this down some?

My address book takes up quite a bit of memory; so does my calendar -- both of which were synced from Outlook.  Is there any way to have the addresses/calendar data stored onto my microSD instead of the device memory?

Lastly, I noticed that when I call people using my Curve, it shows up on their caller ID as "private name, private number."  Where can I change this setting?  Is it in my provider's settings (which I can access online) or on the BlackBerry's settings somewhere?  Also, is it possible to at least NOT have it show private when calling those on my address book, such as friends & relatives? 

~^~ CrypticAzn ~^~
- Pls. click on the LIKE button of this post if I was able to help you in some way. Thanks!
- If I've helped resolve your issue, don't forget to go to the top-right of this post and click on "OPTIONS > ACCEPTED SOLUTION". Thanks!
- See my profile for helpful links!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
CrypticAzn
My Device: BB Torch 9800 v6.0, Bundle 2647 / BB Desktop Mgr v6.1.0.35 (bundle 34)

Re: Curve 8310 - Content Store, Memory, & private Caller ID

Wow, still no replies. ...

Well, I found some info on my questions, but not full answers... So if anyone knows the answers to the QUESTIONS in BLUE, please reply!

Q:  I was looking through "Options > Applications" and saw that the app that took the most memory was "Content Store."

1. Anyone know what this is  Content Store is supposedly content storage of preloaded ringtones & such.

2. if I can delete it  It CAN be deleted from applications in its entirety

3. what would happen if I did? 

4. Is there any way to shrink this down some?

Q:  My address book takes up quite a bit of memory; so does my calendar -- both of which were synced from Outlook.  Is there any way to have the addresses/calendar data stored onto my microSD instead of the device memory?

Q:  Lastly, I noticed that when I call people using my Curve, it shows up on their caller ID as "private name, private number." 

1. Where can I change this setting? Call Log > Options > General Options > Restrict my Identity.

2. Is it in my provider's settings (which I can access online) or on the BlackBerry's settings somewhere? In BB's settings as shown in above question/response.

3. Also, is it possible to at least NOT have it show private when calling those on my address book, such as friends & relatives (but show private for everyone else)? 

~^~ CrypticAzn ~^~
- Pls. click on the LIKE button of this post if I was able to help you in some way. Thanks!
- If I've helped resolve your issue, don't forget to go to the top-right of this post and click on "OPTIONS > ACCEPTED SOLUTION". Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ClaireV
My Device: 9900 Bold smartphone

Hello - I've just joined the support forum after losing all my emails, phone calls, sms and yahoo history on my Curve 8320 whilst desperately looking for a solutuion. 

I too have a content store of 70% (670.9K) of my total space available - seems high (even to a novice like me).  I'm also looking for instructions of how I can reduce this...

With the exception of yahoo, I have no other additional applications (I deleted most of the ones that came with the BB trying to free up memory space) and just a handful of photos left. 

Any help would be gartefully received - as I can't rely on my beloved BB in it's current state!  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
CrypticAzn

[ Edited ]

Hi Claire,

I backed up my Curve's data, then I went ahead and cleared out that Content Store to see what would be affected.  I discovered that Content Store contains 3rd party (non-RIM) apps info, ringtones, images, etc.  Because it's 3rd party data, clearing it out shouldn't "brick" your Curve.  To clear your Content Store, you'll need access to BB's Desktop Manager.

1. Click on the "Backup and Restore" menu option in the Desktop Manager.
  2. Click on "Advanced".  This will load a list of databases found in your device.  (Could take a few minutes if there's a lot of stuff.)
  3. In the "Handheld Databases" list, find and select "Content Store".
  4. Click on the "Clear" button to clear the content store database.

You can use these steps to clear out some of the other things listed in Step 2 as well if you need more device memory.  For instance, I rarely use BB's Browser; I use Opera-Mini, so I sometimes use these steps to clear out the cache and such.  I also don't use BB's calendar & tasks, so I've cleared these out as well.

When I cleared Content Store, it affected one of my apps, but it was nothing I couldn't deal with.  It deleted all of my alarms that I had saved/setup using a 3rd party alarm app, so I had to redo those.  Other than that, my other apps seem to be working fine.

Right now, I've got the following apps installed, and I still have 18MB remaining:  Pocket Informant, MultiAlarm Pro (by Fruity Apps), Poynt, SplashShopper, Rocker Chic BB theme, BB's App World (which I'll be deleting cuz' it's buggy), Documents to Go Premium w/ PDF to Go, Opera-Mini browser, & BB Wallet.  I could have more installed but quite frankly, I haven't found anything else that I've needed or cared to have on my BB, but it IS nice to have the space in case I choose to install more apps.

Some apps I've installed but found buggy was BB's App World & Facebook.  Even with a battery pull, these things were leaking memory so bad that I'd have to do a battery pull several times a day!  It sucked having to go from 10MB to 5MB of memory in one day just from these 2 apps alone.  Until an update/fix comes out, they're staying off my BB.  Besides, you can access BB's App World and Facebook through the internet, and since I have unlimited data access, not having these apps isn't a big deal for me.

The first thing you should do is change some of your settings so that data is stored on a MicroSD card.  Go to Media, your Camera, your Video, and any other preinstalled apps, and make sure that if possible, they're saving their files, photos, etc. onto your MicroSD (assuming you have one).  If you don't have a MicroSD card, GET ONE!!  Photos alone can be over 1MB for EACH one, and that's a lot of memory to lose when you could store them on the card instead.

Change the settings for your calendar, tasks, etc. and make sure that completed tasks are deleted once completed, and that your calendar isn't keeping tons of data from past days, etc.  If you're afraid of losing this, as long as you're backing your stuff up daily or syncing it with a desktop PIM, then you can always regain access to this stuff when needed.

Clear out old/unwanted text, emails, etc.  Better yet, set up an email address on your BB and have people send you messages through it.  That way, you can store a backup of these emails on the web-based mail (like Yahoo) and not lose sleep over it if it's deleted from your BB, plus you can always access it online outside of the BB if for some reason, you need to see something that you had deleted off the BB.  (Another plus to this is that you can have spam filters so your BB isn't getting tons of junk, and getting email on your BB does not count against your text messages plan, which helps alot if you don't have unlimited text messages or if you're thinking about downgrading your text messaging service.)

A BIG thing to note also is that using the Undo/Back button to the right of your trackball, does NOT close the program you're using!!!  It merely sends the program to the background, where it is STILL running!  Unless it's an app that needs to be running constantly (and using memory in the process), get into the habit of CLOSING apps that you're done using.  You can do this by pressing the BB button (to the left of the trackball) while in the app, then on the menu that pops up, scroll down and choose to "Close" or "Exit" the program.  This will prevent it from running in the background & eating up memory.

Use the Memory Cleaner app that should've came with your BB!  Go to Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning.  Enable the cleaner, then change the settings to your liking so it runs whenever you choose.  You can also just enable it, then press the BB Menu button and choose "Clean Now" on the popup menu to do a cleaning right then and there.

Also, delete any additional languages other than your own, and any other apps you don't use, like BB's Password Keeper or Brickbreaker game, etc.  This can be done through the BB's Desktop Manager > Applications.

But if, after all of the above, you're still not getting more than about 12MB (like me), then you might benefit from clearing your BB of all the service provider junk that it came with (like AT&T's junk).  When I started doing the above, my brand new BB went from 5MB to 10MB free on it after a battery pull.  But after deleting the service provider junk, I managed to increase my device memory to 20MB!  It is a lengthy process, so make sure you've got some time on your hands if you decide to try this out, and also back up your data beforehand!

The lengthy process for deleting provider junk can be found here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/112029-losing-call-logs-sms-emails-opt...

Hope this helps; let me know if you have any other questions, although I've only owned my BB since this last Christmas (2mos. ago)... so I'm technically not an expert.  Fortunately, I'm a geek, so figuring techie stuff out is my forte.  Good luck!

~^~ CrypticAzn ~^~
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ClaireV
My Device: 9900 Bold smartphone

Fantastic! 

I've cleared my content store (in that it went down from 951.1K to 496.1K - I assume that's normal?) but as a result I now have 23.3M of free memory  - so I guess I shouldn't have any more missing data problems for a while...

All photos / music / yahoo messenger (my only app) files are on my Micro SD card,

My task / sms / email retention dates have been reduced... 

And as far as I know everything is still working as normal (fingers crossed!).

I have a 8320 - and no memory cleaner app. but I have manually deleted stuff which seems to have had no adverse affect.

Thanks again for your help.

Claire

Please use plain text.