Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Curve 8310 - Tracker Ball Grease Problem

Stupid me clicked on the tracker ball to read an email with greasy fingers.  Although I can still move the ball in all directions, I cannot click on anything.

I've tried taking the battery out, although I don't know what difference this would make, and still got a problem.

If I was to buy a replacement tracker ball, would it make any difference, or have I damaged something inside?

Last time I'll use the phone whilst stealing a greasy roast potato out of the oven!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: BB Torch 9800 v6.0, Bundle 2647 / BB Desktop Mgr v6.1.0.35 (bundle 34)

Re: Curve 8310 - Tracker Ball Grease Problem

[ Edited ]

You can try using a Q-tip/cotton swab that's been dampened (not soaked) with alcohol and, as you spin the trackball in all directions, make sure the swab remains in contact with the ball.  By doing this, you'll at least be cleaning off the trackball of your greasy mess, and hopefully removing other gunk around/beneath it.  Again, try not to get any alcohol on the casing (so your shiny finish stays shiny), which is why I say squeeze the swab of its extra alcohol so that it's just damp, not soaking in it or dripping with it. Smiley Wink

If that doesn't work for you, then your next bet would be to pop out the trackball (carefully) and clean the area.  Here's a site that explains how to do it:

http://www.bbgeeks.com/quick-tips/how-to-clean-your-blackberry-trackball-88916/

Good luck!

P.S. - Pls. give me KUDOS on this post if the above works for you, and mark the issue as Solved. Thanks!

~^~ CrypticAzn ~^~
- Pls. click on the LIKE button of this post if I was able to help you in some way. Thanks!
- If I've helped resolve your issue, don't forget to go to the top-right of this post and click on "OPTIONS > ACCEPTED SOLUTION". Thanks!
- See my profile for helpful links!