Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
obobadr
My Device: Not Specified

Curve 8320 Caller ID / Address Book

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the Caller ID on my Curve 8320, however, the solution in the following thread doesn't seems to be working with my problem http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=5797

i.e.. incoming calls appear without the names registered in the address book 

Here is an example:

John Doe

Office: +966 (3) 123-4567

Mobile: +966 (5) 1234-5678

When John calls the following is displayed:

0 (3) 123-4567

or

0 (5) 1234-5678

When John sends me an SMS his name appears

I need to put in the +966 as I travel out of the country a lot.  I tried using the Smart Dialing option, but it doesn't seem to work properly (it won't remove the zero, it only pads the number with the country code).  Also, I could not figure out what to put for the National Number Length (land lines are 7 & mobiles are 8)

BTW, I have the same problem on my Pearl 8100

Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Curve 8320 Caller ID / Address Book

Are your using Content Protection mode?

This may happen if you enable Content Protection with your Auto Key Lock feature. Go to Options -> Security Options -> General Settings -> Content Protection: Disable.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

You need to have the correct Country Code set in the Smart Dialing options - YOUR Country Code.

The National Number length is the same as would be listed in a phone book WITH the Area Code, but NOT including the Country Code.  In the US it's 10 digits which does NOT include the country code 1.

That said, your example below does make it confusing, but I'd guess you need to use the length for your BlackBerry (8) - not the length for land lines. 

Jerry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
obobadr

tanzim,

I'm not using Content Protection mode. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
obobadr

JerryD,

Thank you for your input.  The country code has been set correctly.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moe_benoliel
My Device: 8707g

HI, I just jumped into this thread as it offers a partial solution to my same problem (even if its an 8707g). However, in my country we have different National Number lengths for fixed line phones (8), and for mobiles (9). So, right now i can make the called-ID work for either fixed phones, or mobiles, but not both. Any idea how i can get both to work?? thanks, Moe
Please use plain text.
Contributor
My Device: 9000 Bold

I'll throw in an opinon which isn't based on Curve experience but which I have seen happen several times on Nokia mobiles and may be the cause of the problem.

Do you have the number(s) listed twice in different address book entries? Say for example John Doe's land line is 01234 567890, but you also have his wife, Jane Doe, in your address book and her land line is also 01234 567890. When either of them calls from the landline, because the phone can't show two names at once, and neither is set as default, it just shows the number.

Take care,

Steve.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moe_benoliel
My Device: 8707g

funny enough, I had that exact problem with Nokia, and it took me a while to solve back then. So I obviously checked that out right away, but such is not the case here. I can easily see the caller ID when i set the length to the right number. But as I have different lengths for mobile numbers than for fixed lines numbers, I can only "activate" one of them at any time. Obviously I'd like to see the caller ID for both types of calls ... So I'm still looking for a solution ....
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Boozon

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my 8310 Curve.

In my case I think the problem depends on the fact that my cell phone is "within the company switchboard", which means I have to dial a zero before any phone number (i.e. if I want to dial the Swedish number 08-123456 I would have to dial 008123456).

This is normally avoided by entering all numbers using +46 (Swedish country code, i.e. the previous example would be dialled +468123456). This has worked on all my previous phones (all Nokias), and they have all recognized the name of the person calling if that person has been stored with country number in my address book.

On the BlackBerry dialling works just fine, however all the entries stored in my address book (with countrycode and all) does not get recognized when somebody calls me. *sigh*

A colleague of mine tells me that this has worked on previuos BlackBerry models, and that this is wrong on 8310 Curve. *sigh again*

I have OS 4.2.2.181.

Does anybody know if this is corrected in a later version of the operating system, and in that case which?

Please help me since this is the one thing* preventing me from thinking that this phone is actually better than my Nokia N95, and it really makes me consider giving the BlackBerry back since I have over 750 entries in my address book with an average of two phone numbers per entry and have no intention of changing all those numbers...

*) Apart from the fact that my 8GB SDHC-card is not working, but I can live with that...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ashbury

This malfunction has nothing to do with smart dialing. 

If your blackberry is keylock that requires password, your address book will be protected under BB's blackberry content protection security measures.  Go to Options, Security Options, General Settings, Content Protection Include Address Book.  Change it to "No" and you'll be all set!
Please use plain text.