Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Xavarir
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330
My Carrier: Telus

Curve 8330 - Flashing Red Lights of Doom!

Hey,

I've had my Curve for just under 2 years and about a week ago it just stopped working. I was out with some friends when I happened to glance at my phone and noticed that the LED was glowing a solid white color. The LED was white for about 10 seconds then went out. After this the phone would not turn back on and the LED was a solid red color.

I figured my battery must be dead so I put it on the charger when I got home.  After charging for hours I tried to turn it back on, with no luck. The LED was still solid red and would remain this way for hours. After some initial research, I decided to try and reload to OS. By this time, the LED light was flashing 4 times, pausing briefly, then flashing 4 times again, over and over. I searched the internet for some help and came across many people with the same problem I was having and some solutions others had discovered. I thought all my problems would soon be over.

I followed some of the guides others had posted about reloading the OS user the App Loader application. I got past the step of selecting the components I wanted to installed and clicked Next. The process started to work, but when it got to the "Intializing Phone" step it would return an error saying it could not detect the device. The whole time I was going through this process the USB connect/disconnect sounds were playing over and over again.

I continued to research and found out that the BlackBerry was actually in some kind of constant reboot cycle. That it why the USB sounds were playing repeatedly. I assume this is why the computer could not detect the device long enough to finish the installation process.

So this is basically where I am now. I got pretty frustrated with the whole scenario and left it for a few days. I picked my phone up yesterday and tried to turn it on. Initially there was no sign of life from the LED. I held the power button and the BlackBerry LED began to blink twice then pause, blink twice, pause, etc.

I would realy rather not have to pay another couple of hundred dollars for a phone but I can't go without a phone much longer. I am confident that I can get to the same error I did before, but can not get past that point.

Could someone please help me with this issue? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated and I'm willing to provide more detailed information if it will help, just let me know what you need! Thanks in advance.

- Luke

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Curve 8330 - Flashing Red Lights of Doom!

Have you tried using BBSAK to connect?

There's a link to it here...

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Xavarir

Thanks for the quick reply JSanders.

I have previously tried the Jl_cmder utility, following the steps in that exact link you posted. However, it also returns an error saying it can not detect the device.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Ok, at that link, I've placed a link to BBSAK.

You might also try this:

If your BlackBerry stays powered off with a black screen, follow the instructions below. The only indication of life might be the blinking red LED light in the top corner. Nothing seems to wake it up and Desktop Manager doesn't recognize any device is connected.

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Xavarir

That is the process I described in my initial post J. At this step.....

"5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely."

.....it fails halfway through the process. I hit Next and Finish and it starts the installation process. I don't remember the exact steps but I believe there is a list of 4 steps which it does in order. The second step is "Initializing device" or something similar, and this is where I get the error.

Once it gets to this point I get an error saying that the decive is not connected, or can not be recognized. Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Is your USB cable connected to a main rear port of the PC, not a front USB port or a USB hub.

Make certain this is correct.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Xavarir

No I've been connecting through the front USB ports. I will give the rear ports a try. I'm currently at work and my "brick" is at home. I'll try it as soon as I get home. Thanks so much for your replies J. I'll let you know how it goes when I get home.

Luke

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Xavarir

No luck with that either. Tried the back ports and I get the exact same behaviour.

Here is a screengrab of the error and where it happens. When it gets to this point the USB connect and disconnect sounds happen over and over again. When the USB connect sound plays, the blackberry LED comes on solid red and when the disconnect sound plays the LED goes off.

Screengrab

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/Xavarir/Error.jpg

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Xavarir

It seems that no matter what I try, the computer can never detect the BlackBerry device. I've tried both the App Loader and the Jl_cmder to wipe the device but when it gets to the "Initializing device" step it fails everytime.

I've tried multiple batteries and multiple USB cables/ports. Is it possible that it could be an internal hardware issue?

Please use plain text.
qwe
New Contributor
qwe
My Device: curve
My Carrier: tata docomo

i can't proceed the 2nd step.. plzz help

Please use plain text.