Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Curve 8330 will not sync with desktop manager after 4.5 OS upgrade

Last time I connected to the desktop manager, it asked me to upgrade to 4.5. I thought, why not? So I did. Since then, I can no longer use the Google Sync for calendar and contacts as it stopped working immedately afterwards.

I realized I need to get my contacts updated on my phone, and my calendar corrected so I tried to sync to the desktop.

The phone is no longer being recognized by the system. This is since the updated. I have downloaded the USB / Modem drivers again but haven't installed / reinstalled them yet.

I was hoping it was maybe a simple fix?

I'm running Win XP Professional SP 3. I am using 4.7 of the Desktop manager. (Worked fine before OS upgrade)

If I haven't given enough details to help, please let me know.

Thanks!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8320 / 9530

Re: Curve 8330 will not sync with desktop manager after 4.5 OS upgrade

uninstall google sync, and reinstall it?
New Contributor

That was my first thought as well, no luck there. Apparently there are issues with Google Sync and the 4.5 OS. Now I am seeing duplicate calendar items and the contacts will no longer update.

I was thinking I could sync the phone and do a restore back before I did the OS upgrade? Is that possible?

That's when I ran into the problem with my laptop no longer recognizing the device anymore :?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Consider yourself lucky.  When I upgraded to OS 4.5 (same thought - why not?), it totally fried my BlackBerry.  White screen of death with "app error 523" displayed.  After two hours on the phone with Alltel, with all kinds of workarounds attempted, they declared the phone to be "unrecoverable."  And since it was out of warranty (by two months) I got to buy a new phone. Lesson learned: never upgrade the software on a phone that is working.
New Contributor

I'm glad I didn't have that experience, however, replacing the phone has crossed my mind. I'm sorry you had so much trouble. I cannot get my contacts updated now, and that's a real frustration when trying to do business and can't find a number for someone you have to reach. Hopefully I can figure it out....
Forums Veteran I

gallhiser: apperror 523 is recoverable

did alltel even attempt to send you to RIM tech support? If your carrier cant resolve an issue and they are not going to just replace your device, they are SUPPOSED to send you to RIM. RIM tech support knows WAAAAAY more than the carrier tech support.

Best to make sure you have DTM 4.7 installed to your PC, and the 4.5 software also installed to windows.

as for googlesync having troubles on 4.5, mine works fine, I have 4.5.

the 1 problem I HAVE noticed with installing 4.5 is when there is a media card installed in the device when the upgrade takes place.

1. remove your media card

2. install DTM 4.7 and have it closed

3. make sure device software 4.5 from your carrier is installed to windows as well

4. browse to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

5. leave your battery out of the device, plug into your PC

6. open LOADER.EXE and continue through the wizard (when it gets to the connection screen, as long as it says USB, click next... some times this process has to be done quick)

7. when it is finished you will get a multistage error, close the wizard

8. put battery back in, wait for 507 error on your device, and repeat step 6

good luck

New Contributor

Will this resolve my issue or his 503 issue or both?
New Contributor

No Alltel did not offer to connect me to RIM.  Their help ended with the offer to sell me a new phone.

Thanks for the advice though - I will remember it for the future.  And I did have a micro-SD card installed during the upgrade, so perhaps that was part of the problem.

I bought a new BlackBerry flipphone 8230 which I am very pleased with.  In fact, if I had known it was as good as it is, I might have been ready to upgrade under less dramatic circumstances.

Forums Veteran I

natattack06 yes it should also help you as well.... basically any 5xx error

gallhiser you should still try repairing yours, might be able to sell it and make back some money

New Contributor

When I launch the loader, the connection screen only shorts com ports no USB. Shouldn't I see a USB option?