Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
chux4w
My Carrier: O2

Curve 8520 - Keys Not Functioning

Hi everyone, hope you guys can help me out here. I have no idea what's happened, but since I last looked my phone refuses to recognise input from keys. The keyboard, top keys (red./green, menu, return) and even the side shortcuts are all useless. I've tried a battery pull, it turns on ok and I can use the scroller to move along the shortcut bar, but as soon as it times out and the light goes off even that won't bring function back. I'm pretty much stuck with a paperweight.

Device info

Your carrier: O2 (UK)

Model info and OS version (Go to Settings, then Options, then about): ...wish I could!

Apps and free space

File free before and after a battery remove/replace. (Go to Settings, then Options, then status): --

Did a battery pull fix your issue?: Nope.

Apps installed and their version if possible: Just the defaults.

BT device model/version (you will have to look at the BT device): HDW-22736-002 Rev1 Ver2 1310

Any help would be really appreciated. It was working as normal until...I don't know. It was in my pocket for a couple of hours, then refused to do anything!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chux4w

Re: Curve 8520 - Keys Not Functioning

Hmm, it's repaired itself. Took the battery, SIM and SD card out overnight (around 9 hours) then put them all back in this morning and it's working normally. I tried the exact same thing last night but only for about an hour, it didn't help at all. Strange.

Still, if anyone knows why this happened, or if there's a better solution, I'd stll really appreciate any help. Luckily it's not so urgent anymore, but it could happen again at any time.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chux4w

[ Edited ]

Ah well, easy come easy go. It's stopped working again. Sorry about the triple post, turns out it's not a one time problem.

Edit: I saw it happen this time! It typed a few random letters automatically before refusing to accept input.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chux4w

Back again!

It's been working for a month, but has done the same thing again for two days now. It turns on, receives calls and texts fine, and the trackpad is normal, but it won't accept any input from any keys. Last time it beame responsive for longer and longer until eventually it was back to normal, but suddenly...

This isn't water damage. I haven't spilled anything, it hasn't even rained recently. The water damage indicator is white. I've left it in various hot places, but so far no good. I also tried updating the OS software, but since I can't choose to open in data storage mode or not, the PC doesn't even recognise it's attached.

Is there anyone out there with any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
friiflow
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Well, what can I say, your phone has gone bonkas :smileyhappy:

But seriously, I had this happen to me and it was as a result of a spillage. If you can open up the phone and let it dry out for a while, if this don't work, you might have to consider changing your entire keypad.

Please use plain text.
juddgarcia06

I need help. I'm having the same problem. The keys of my BB curve 8520 isn't working. After i restarted the phone, it worked. Then after several minutes, the problem arised again. :smileysad: How to solve this? Pls help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aniina8
My Carrier: MTS Russia

I am facing the same problem!:smileysad::smileysad:

Only the trackpad is working and all other keys are useless!! Dont know what to do!!!

:smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad:

Can any one please help us?????? cant do anything with my phone now!!!

Please use plain text.
brokenbb
My Carrier: t-mobile

The same thing is happening to my phone exactly - trackball is working but none of the keys are! So frustrating.

Did you ever find an answer to this problem, or do I just need to scrap the phone?  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Imaaaad

Hey guys! Looking at all your replies, i guess there's still no solution for this yet and we're all on the same boat.

Ill let u guys know if mine works as i just placed it on a heater blowing some hot air into the keypad! :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Stuboy1984
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi,

I'm also having this problem. Tried pulling the battery, sim, member, everything, updated the software as well, still nothing.

The trackpad works to scroll around, but it does nothing when you click it, the other buttons don't seem to be working either. No water damage.

Has anyone managed to sort this problem out? Is it replacment parts of a software problem?

Stuart

Please use plain text.