Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
Catrin
My Device: Not Specified

Curve 8520 internet connection troubles

Hi, i've just newly purchased the new Curve 8520

I understand this blackberry has wi-fi which is fabulous when i'm near a hot spot!

But i do not understand how i can surf the internet without connecting to the wi-fi?

I've looked through the blackberry website and i understand it does have EDGE GPRS and GSM?

My tariff includes unlimited internet so i'm pretty sure it's part of my tariff to search the web?

Everytime i try and search the net without being conntected to the wi-fi it either says:

"You are not currently in a an area that can hadnle data communication. As a result, the Browser cannot retrieve any web pages" or "This is a wi-fi service, please connect to the wi-fi"

Can anybody explain to me how i can use the internet without being connected to the wi-fi, i know the curve 8520 does not have 3G but i thought it was still possible without wi-fi?

Thank you so much!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Curve 8520 internet connection troubles

Hi there!

If you are positive that you have a data plan that provides you browser access via the carrier network, then try these steps:

1) Register HRT

• Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BBKey (it does not matter which line is current) > Register Now

2) Resend Service Books:

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

If those steps do not enable your browser over your carrier network, then contact them to find out why they are not delivering to you the services for which you are paying.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lady_lysa

hii i am having the same problem, but in the Host Routing Table i don't see the Register Now, My carrier sent me the information to change i.e the APN, AND DSN but i don't know where to change these settings.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

lady_lysa wrote:

hii i am having the same problem, but in the Host Routing Table i don't see the Register Now, My carrier sent me the information to change i.e the APN, AND DSN but i don't know where to change these settings.

KB05327 Set the APN settings on the BlackBerry device

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lady_lysa

Thanks, another question How do I change the DNS?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
felixbb
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: 02

i have exactly the same problem, but i cant figure out how to do the second step ( send service books)

i think ive done it right, but when i try browser, it says 'unable to conect to internet, please try again later.'

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
valtr
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Hi - Just wondered if anyone got help from a provider. I have similar issues - set up 2 new devices in the last 24 hours, no problems. Then I installed the provided software on my laptop, and synch'd one device - which now has a white dash against the home wi-fi (other one is green tick). I upgraded the s/w, which did not help, then reset the device as previously mentioned and played with the router. After reset, the setup only enables me to set up an enterprise email address (not a gmail, hotmail), which I guess is related. I am using the correct WEP code, and see the home wi-fi, but whilst the 8520 sees it and the main 'home' screen says wi-fi, it is not connected. I am awaiting a call from my provider (Virgin media in UK) but told it could take two days. The second BB continues to work perfectly having not been synch'd.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
valtr
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Just an update to my earlier comment. 24 hours after alerting the service provider, who never called back, I got an email (on the BB) telling me "the handheld device had been registered with the wireless network" and the email was from "Blackberry" but only appeared on the BB not my real email account - then I got all the non delivered stuff and the wi-fi now had a green tick, so somebody did something remotely - I recommend speaking to the service provider.

I now need to update the thing again, and would not be surprised at more problems

Please use plain text.
leanne2010
My Carrier: vodafone

i bought a blackberry curve 8520 wich was on t-mobile payt i have had it unlocked so it will go on to any network, however when i have tried to use the messenger and other features i can not acces them. i have tried speaking to vodafone and they said it is because the phone is still locked to the t-mobile network and it needs realeasing.is there a way i can do this so i can use all the feauters on my bb thanks for any help

Please use plain text.
IanSia
My Carrier: T Mobile

[ Edited ]

dude, i face the same problem. i am sure i have the data plan. 

what should i do if i click Host Routing Table and it's empty inside there?? LOLx should i just send "Register now" ??

please help me T.T thanks

Please use plain text.