Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Gp84
My Device: Curve 8520
Accepted Solution

Curve 8520 stuck on a "white screen of death"

Hi everyone,

I have a Blackberry Curve 8520. Yesterday it got stuck on a white screen, with a small black clock in the middle (the kind that you see when you're waiting for a page to load on the internet browser).

Even if I turn my phone off, take the battery out, or put it on charge, this "white screen of death" as I've read it being described by other people online, won't go away!!

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Curve 8520 stuck on a "white screen of death"

First, don't turn your BlackBerry off before removing the battery. That does nothing.

With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

If your device still does not reboot, please post back here.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Gp84

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks for posting back. I have just tried what you suggested, and the phone still won't reboot...

it just goes back to the white screen.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

ok.

If your BlackBerry stays powered off with a black or white screen, follow the instructions below. The only indication of life might be the blinking red LED light in the top corner. Nothing seems to wake it up and Desktop Manager doesn't recognize any device is connected.

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Congrats! Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jewelery7
My Device: 8520 Curve

I would like to personally thank you. This worked like a charm !!!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Alsatianx2

Hello All

I'm new here and I'm starting to get really upset.  I have only had my curve a few hours and already I have the white screen of death alternating with the black screen. 

I have tried everything suggested and it doesn't work.  When I copy and paste the line suggested in "Run" it comes up with an error that says:

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network.  Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and then try again.  If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

Can anyone please please help me???  I really am at a loss as to what to do.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Alsatianx2

Please anyone

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mcscotty79
My Device: 8520

is there any instructions for mac users please as i have the same situation?

Please use plain text.
JonasFan4life

i had this problem with my blackberry curve 8520 i hadn't even had it a 2 weeks. I tried the soloutions on the forums and none worked so i ended up going to the carrier's store and having to get a replacement. Don't take the battery out and back in too many times because after i did that it broke and it only took three times. 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
deooooooo
My Device: 8520

hi, I have the same problem, but when I click on Next, Connection box is empty.

I've bought the phone 3 weeks ago, but the problem that I'm leaving the country (England) on this Saturday,

is there any possibility that I get a new phone? What do you think?

What should I do?

and there is one more thing, I'm from Croatia and we don't have Blackberry support, so, we have some companies that maybe could help me but they will not accept my warranty.

Please help,

thanks in advance

Andrea Rogic

Please use plain text.