Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone

Curve 8520 with 70 character text limit

Hi,

I have had my BB for 3 years and foolishly have only just discovered that I have a 70 character limit on sending texts. This has come to light following a trip to the USA and a big bill on return with what looked like lots of duplicate texts but obviously wasn't. My daughters newer BB has a liimit of 160, is there a way of changing mine to that or am I stuck with a tiny 70... (never noticed in past as its always been within my inclusive text limits).

Thank you in advance!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Curve 8520 with 70 character text limit

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please refer to this:

• KB15293 Short Message Service (SMS) message size and data coding

Given the values you quote, this may well apply to you.

Otherwise -- from my understanding, SMS length limits are imposed by your mobile service provider, not by the BB in any way. I'd recommend you contact them for formal assistance with this.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: Curve 8520 with 70 character text limit

Hi again,

Thanks for your quick reply! I have looked at the information you sent and my phone appears to be set to 7 bit which translates as more than 70 characters according to this information so i'm still confused. Looks like yet another phone call to the dreadful vodafone... I have checked another BB I have for work which is at least 2 years old and that does 160 character and is also set to 7 bit but that is with O2. I will face the call tomorrrow...