Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Developer
JavaBrat
My Device: Bold 9650 OS6 (primary), Curve 8530 OS5
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Curve 8530 SD Card/Device Memory problems... PLZ HELP!?!

A few days ago my custom ringtones quit working so I attempted to put them back when I accessed my SD card only to discover there were no folders showing. I checked "Show Hidden" and they appeared, but there is no way to un-hide them or access them (file names replaced with long lines of letters). Completely frustrated I wiped the card, formatted it via the device and the "Blackberry" folder was back so I transferred my ringtones back into the appropriate folder. The next day, the same thing happened and I repeated it all over again. Everything seemed fine, then today I reset my device after removing a theme and my card did the same thing all over again.

During all of this I decided to save my ringtones to my device instead so I wouldn't have to keep transferring them back and forth. At least until I figured out what was making my SD card act up all of a sudden. Unfortunately, when I try to save anything but apps to my device I get an error message saying its a "read only directory". I went to Media Folder>Device Memory>Properties and sure enough, the box marked "Read Only" is checked with no way to uncheck it.

I didn't have any of these issues a few days ago but haven't made any significant changes to any settings either. All I have done is install/uninstall a few themes and apps. But now every time my device reboots, my SD card hides all the files so I can't unhide or access them, and my device memory won't allow me to do anything (outside of apps and whatnot) because it says its read only.

Anyone have any clue as to why my SD card hides the files located on it every time my device has to reboot? If so, any idea how I can get it to stop?

Also, why does my device memory suddenly not allow me to save anything (pics, music, ringtones etc) to it, yet allow me to download apps?

I'm not 100%, but I'm almost positive these issues didn't exist several days ago and again, I've done nothing outside of apps and themes :smileysad:

My device is a Curve 8530, OS 5.0.0.886 (Bundle 1493, Platform 4.2.0.397) with Verizon Wireless

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!

~JavaBrat~
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Curve 8530 SD Card/Device Memory problems... PLZ HELP!?!

Hi and welcome

You sound very technically competent so apologies if any of what follows is rather basic.

The Blackberry is designed to be reset by removing the battery whilst the device is powered-on. Leave the battery out for a minute or 2.

See if that resolves the problem. If it doesn't, the likely issue is/are the recent downloads of apps and themes. My suggestion therefore is to remove all the recent downloads/apps/themes and re-introduce them 1 at at a time, this may help

KB17877

When you come back please add the memory free space for both the device and the MC.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
New Developer
JavaBrat

Thanks stevels400 for the reply!

I tried the battery pull, but it didn't change anything. Once my device booted up, my SD card files were "Hidden" again and the Device Memory still showed as "Read Only".

I deleted all the themes, with the exception of the one I am using now which I was using before these problems started. I had installed an app that was supposed to improve RAM, however, I removed it and it didn't change anything. Aside from that, the only other apps I have installed recently are App Lock 3.0 (paid) by Ajani InfoTech Private Limited, FixmoExtend 1.0.228 by Fixmo Inc., ScoreMobile for Blackberry 1.8 by Score Media Ventures, TXTLater 2.1.1 by SKAN DbyDx Software Pvt. Ltd., and Who Is It - LED Alerts for Contacts 2.0 by The Jared Company. App Lock, FixmoExtend and Who Is It were all installed around the time the problems started whereas the others were installed afterward (at least as far as I know). ALSO, I did have the SD card and "User" folder on my device memory p/w protected with App Lock. But I ended up removing the "lock" on them. So I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or not. But being that the lock has been removed and a battery pull performed, I would think if it were the cause it would be fixed now and its not.

As far as the free memory, it reads as follows...

from Media Folder>Memory Use

Media Card 3.6GB; Total Free (99%) 3.6GB, Total Used (<1%) 1.8M

Device Memory 5.0MB; Total Free (82%) 4.0MB, Total Used (18%) 937.4KB

~JavaBrat~
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400

Memory is clearly not the issue.

Reinstall your apps then follow the guidance below to reload the OS. When you get to the point of reloading apps, don't reload them all. If all works well with the apps you chose, you can then go back to that point and continue loading them until either you have them all and everything works, or you discover one that causes issues.

This what I did to completely wipe my BB. I wrote this before starting and printed it off.

If your device is functioning, perform a backup now if you haven't already done so saving the file to a place and in a name that you can easily locate on computer.

I then uninstalled DTM and then deleted all other references to BB/Rim in Windows Explorer thus removing the OS for the BB from the computer in order to ensure that the version I would reinstall would be a brand new downloaded version.

Get the latest Desk Top Software
http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/?CPID=OTC-DSKTPSW&cp=OTC-DSKTPSW

and install it on the computer.

Get the correct latest version of the OS

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and save it to computer.

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps. This option is available with
BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and later.

1. In the device Options, click Security.
If you are using BlackBerry Device Software 4.1, click Security Options > General Security.
2. Click the trackwheel and select Wipe Handheld.
3. Click Continue.
4. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

On some new versions of BlackBerry software, the menu navigation is slightly different.

1. Go to Options.
2. Select Security Options.
3. Select General Settings.
4. Click the Menu key.
5. Select Wipe Handheld.
6. Click Continue.
7. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

Launch the new Desk Top Software on the computer

1. Connect your device to your computer.
2. On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Update my device.
3. Do one of the following:
* To download an update, click Get update.
* To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.

Ensure the new OS is the one you prevously downloaded.

Do not disconnect the device until the whole process is completed and the device has rebooted.

After 10 minutes reboot again by removing the battery whilst powered-on and leave it out for a couple of minutes.

Leave it again for 10 minutes. You should now have a fully functioning BB!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
JavaBrat

Well this may be a silly question, but if I backup, wipe and restore now.. won't I just be reinstalling everything as it is now, including the problems?
~JavaBrat~
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400

A silly question is the one that remains unasked.

No, you wont be replacing it as was. The instructions, which I researched and wrote for my own benefit, include getting a new version of both the desk top and device software. This was fundamental to solving my problem even though the original OS was replaced with the same version number, it was a fresh copy.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
JavaBrat

I had already started the process you described since I figure you know more about this than I do, but I couldn't go about it exactly as you described.

For instance, on my device when I went to perform the security wipe, the only items it would allow me to "wipe" were; Option 1 -Emails, Contacts, etc, Option 2 -User Installed Applications, Option 3 -Media Card (nothing about the OS though)

I went ahead and wiped all of the above, rebooted and checked to see what state my device was in. It was pretty much back to factory settings, but the device was no longer "Read Only", so that much worked. I went back to the Desktop Software, reinstalled everything from my backup this morning, minus the apps (contacts, messages, folders etc). Since the desktop software I have won't allow me to select individual apps from a backup, I'm in the process now of going back, tracking them all down and reinstalling.

So unfortunately I couldn't do it your way, which sounded a bit easier and quicker, but it appears to be fixed so I'm not going to complain if I have to spend some extra time reinstalling apps. Small price to pay to have it fully functioning again.

So thanks for taking the time to help me out. I REALLY appreciate it!!

~JavaBrat~
Please use plain text.
New Developer
JavaBrat

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to post another quick update for anyone who has the same problem and reads this...

I contacted the developer of App Lock (Empower Interactive) to inquire if this was a common issue with their app and I wasn't the least bit impressed with their response, which was as follows...

Hi Adina,

This is a common problem faced by any of the App Lock users. Some of them lock files and folders on their memory card and then they see the application has deleted them. Well the application does not delete anything just converts them into another format. We give them steps to recover the data but sometimes they format the drive and the drive gets corrupt. The App Lock is a high security application. We have designed it in such a way that the user feels protected with his or her data even when the device is stolen. No body would be ever able to access the data if such a thing happens.

In most cases the users only do something to destroy the data. Either they delete the.al files thinking that its of no use. Mainly they are the files protected. Al stands for app lock which is converted by the application.

I suggest you wipe you device memory. Delete all the third party applications. This would help you out.

We can't do anything to sort this as this is one of the main feature of the application.

I can make the changes required and hope my users don't make such mistake.

Thanks for writing to us and I assure that this problem will be fixed soon.

Thanks
Rick
Product Manager
getEmpower.com

All I got from that was.. yes its common, no its not our fault and the user is to blame for having to completely wipe their device. To say the very least, I couldn't disagree more! Not to mention their attitude really struck a nerve... but perhaps I'm just too sensitive. Either way you don't blame a customer for something that software caused. In the end I paid for an app that resulted in my device not only getting screwed up, but further resulted in my having to spend DAYS to fix. Not happy and I plan on letting them know this.

So for anyone who reads this and is considering their app... BE CAREFUL! You can protect your device and SD card files BUT you won't be able to access either without wiping your device and starting over from scratch. Guess this is what they mean by BUYER BEWARE :-(

~JavaBrat~
Please use plain text.
eazym
My Device: 8530 cruve
My Carrier: sprint

? WHEN YOU CONNECT TO COMPUTER SHOLDN'T SOMETHING SHOW LIKE YOUR BB FOLDERS MINE SHOW NOTHING SO WHAT CSN I DO ?
Please use plain text.