Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
mikeg222
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530

Curve 8530 wont scroll in certain menu's

Hey everyone,

My blackberry curve wont scroll in any direction on the blackberry home menu without holding in the shift key. Also when I hold the lock key ( the * key) it goes right into standby mode and I have to use the mute key to get it out of standby.

This happened about two days ago when I noticed the ALT function seemed to be stuck on even though the button was not stuck in any way. 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Curve 8530 wont scroll in certain menu's

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
mikeg222

The battery pull was one of the first thing's I tried. Also it seems that my phone automatically goes into mute (standby) mode.

New Contributor
mikeg222

Also I found someone who has the exact same issue as me but it never got resolved and his description is alot better

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=564203

douglasthered
My Device: 8530

I'm having the same issue, my altenate key seems stuck or something, and nothing seems to fix it.

New Contributor
mikeg222

At least this isn't just a one time problem with my phone only.

New Contributor
blackwolf100
My Device: 8530 Curve

[ Edited ]

Currently my blackberry is under going issues as well. My scroll button has selective functionality. I can scroll on the home screen but not through the menu. I can scroll through my texts and messages but not on my facebook app.

Also while I'm typing a text, my "o" key does not work. So I substitute with a zero. Although while I'm typing, if I have an extra letter or missing a letter, I normally scroll to where I need to type or delete the letter needed. Now when I try and do this, scrolling changes the last letter I've typed. It will change "a" to "A", "à", "â", "ä",etc...

Only way to stop this is by typing a second character, deleting it, THEN I can use the scroll function correctly. I also have to do this when I open the web browser.

I've also noticed that my return button and end call button don't work most of the time. When I turn on keyguard, I usually tap the return button (or back button. What ever you call it) and the screen illuminates for 5 seconds then dims off again. Now, I have to repeatedly tap this button until the screen lights up..Or any button for this matter. The media button on top of the phone unlocks it but I usually end up tapping every key until it lights up.

Before my "o" key died on me, every key near the "o" key would type "o" along with it. For instance, when i pressed "i", "k", "L", "p" and try to delete or back out of something, it types "o" too. Example: oi, ok, ol, op, etc...When i would try deleteing, it would delete anything I want but replace it with the "o". When I went to back out of a text situation via SMS, facebook, myspace, instant message, etc-it too would leave an "o" behind before functioning correctly.

Even when I want to perform a simple task such as changing my sound profile, I can open the profiles on the home screen but can not scroll down and select anything. I have to type the first letter corresponding with the Profile and click it. For instance, if i want "vibrate" then I need to press the "v" key. Vice versa for Loud, Normal, Medium, etc.

Clicking with the scroll button doesn't work half the time either in certain features as well. I usually end up having to "click" every thing via "Enter" key. Needless to say, THIS IS FRUSTRATING!

It's 3:20am atm and I will be going to sprint today to investigate further just what the HELL is going on here. Hopefully I remember this website and return with some answers.

With that said, come February when my "annual renewal" is up for grabs (a perk for being a 'Sprint Premier Customer'), I WILL be switching to the Samsung Epic with 4G for $150 off :smileyhappy: Sorry blackberry!

New Contributor
mikeg222

I had the same problem as you with your O button but with my A button instead.

New Contributor
blackwolf100
My Device: 8530 Curve

[ Edited ]

Sprint's solution to my problem with the scroll button: new replacement lol

Sprint had my phone for about 5 hours yesterday and the technician could not figure out just what the hell the problem was. No liquid damage at all. Which surprises me because I had snow fall into my coat pocket the other week and my phone was in my pocket!

Now, while I was waiting, I got to speak with the front-doorsman (not sure of his actual title but he's the guy @ the front door who takes your name soon as you walk in) and we were discussing some differences between Blackberry and personal phones such as Samsung Epic and HTC Evo. When I mentioned that Blackberry has no support for Adobe Flash Player, he went on to say that Blackberry has it's own format for websites and files. Then I had mentioned to him how I tried to download the latest Flash Player from Adobe's website but could not run the download due to the file being an executable file (.exe). Shortly after, it dawned me: that .exe file could have possibly caused the phone to crash in such manor due to the file being corrupt and unreadable.

So anyone else who is having this problem, you may want to go through your phone and see if you have any files that are unreadable by your phone. There are certain file extensions that are formatted so your phone can read files and run them. In essence, square pegs don't fit in round holes!

So after the technician backed up my files and tried repeatedly to restore my phone to default settings, he just gave up and replaced it with a new 8530 and shook my hand, saying "Thank you for your patience. I've been fighting with this thing ALL day. We're pretty good at fixing phones but that thing is out of commission. Just so you know, Sprint offers a 'Buy Back Program' where we will credit your account with the value of what this phone is worth, which is still a few hundred bucks".

Needless to say, I smiled ear to ear when he said that. Now I will bring in my other two phones to nickel and dime credit towards my account so I can buy the Samsung Epic at a dirt cheap price! Not to mention, Feb. 1st marks a FULL upgrade ($150 off) to any phone..Oh yeah, I'm loving this! Once again, sorry Blackberry!

New Contributor
mikeg222

So far this seems like it has to be the best solution for the problem.