Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Etisalat

Curve 9300 won't charge properly

I've had my Blackberry Curve 9300 for about 7 months now & I've been experiencing this problem for the past 3 months. For some reason my Blackberry "chooses" the chargers that can charge it, i.e. If I use my wall charger, it randomly works, If I use my Boss' Car Charger, it works like any normal charger, I tried using my friend's wall charger, same problem as mine, then I tried another friend's Car Charger, this time it didn't work.

I haven't installed any 3rd party apps apart from the usual package like facebook & bbm so I'm guessing the problem is elsewhere.

The main problem is the "randomness" of my wall charger; sometimes it takes me a few minutes of pluging the charger to the usb port over & over again till the lightning sign shows that it's charging, but most of the time it takes me as much as 4hrs to get that sign to pop up, in which by that time my BB's already dead. The clock appearing at the time you plug the charger in has no effect as I press the return button every time after the clock appears, & the charging sign still isn't there. It's annoying because everytime the battery goes red are the time when I need it the most, like when I need to meet someone outside the office. I don't want to go through the inconvenience of purchasing a new phone of replacing this one as I have had lots of notes & messages that I want to keep but since there's a USB port problem, I can't even connect my BB to my laptop as it says it can't recognise the USB connection. I've tried with multiple cables as well & none can be recognised.

Can someone please help?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Curve 9300 won't charge properly

Hi

Start by

The Blackberry is designed to be reset by removing the battery whilst the device is powered-on. Leave the battery out for a minute or 2.

See if that resolves the problem.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor

Hey, it worked! But I don't want to say that it's the solution for now because, like I said, it's randomly like this. Let me see if it continues like this for the next couple of days & I'll let you know. Thanks a lot stevels400! You just made my day! 

Forums Veteran I

You're welcome.

New Contributor

Hmm...I guess I was right, yesterday was just random. I tried removing the battery, waiting 2 minutes & replacing it before charging for over 5 times now, & it still wont charge. Now all that removing & replacing has done is consume my battery. 

Forums Veteran I

I've read through your posts again because I was going to say to do a reload of the OS.

However, as you have problems with the USB connection I am thinking the problem may lie with the port on the BB ie thats its a hardware issue.

Do you have any remaining warranty on the device?

New Contributor

Well, I would've considered it a hardware issue if it had not been for my Boss' Car charger which charges my BB like any normal charger would, & it never has issues like what I have with my wall charger or any other wall charger or car charger. Meaning to say, if I did have a hardware problem, then why does my boss' car charger work?

I do have warranty for my device but for some reason I lost the receipt so I might have to pay for the repairs. And as much as possible I don't want to pay for any repairs so long as I can still find a solution online. I've read some posts in the past about the curve charging problem but unfortunately I can't find the thread anymore & they say they have the same issue with both the old & new curve. But they never found a solution. The only option they had was to get a replacement BB, which in my case is a little hard to do as because of this connection problem, I can't back up my BB to my desktop manager. Any ideas on to what may have been the cause?Can a computer virus affect a BB?I may have connected to other PC's when I was tranferring files to my friends I keep thinking this may have been a probable cause.

Forums Veteran I

Ok. Try a new or known good battery. Maybe a friend could lend you theirs or go to the shop and preferably try out a new one whilst you are there. Report back as to the result.

Of greater concern is the inability of the computer to recognise the device. Make sure you have a BB data cable and that the battery is not dead - either use the borrowered/new battery or borrow the battery charger from the boss. When you connect a BB with a dead battery to the charger or the computer, it takes a while for the functionality to kick in.

Use a PC as well as a laptop and try all ot the USB ports, especially those on the back of the PC and once you get a connection dont disturb it.

If you cannot get a connection having tried all of that, try it with the battery out and then do the same again but with the battery in, then remove it whilst connected.

When you finally get a combination that recognises the BB do the following

In the guides it says to do a backup. Do this if you haven't already done so saving the file to a place and in a name that you can easily locate on computer.

I then uninstalled DTM and then deleted all other references to BB/Rim in Windows Explorer thus removing the OS for the BB from the computer in order to ensure that the version I would reinstall would be a brand new downloaded version.

Get the latest Desk Top Software
http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/?CPID=OTC-DSKTPSW&cp=OTC-DSKTPSW

and install it on the computer.

Get the correct latest version of the OS

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and save it to computer.

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps. This option is available with
BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and later.

1. In the device Options, click Security.
If you are using BlackBerry Device Software 4.1, click Security Options > General Security.
2. Click the trackwheel and select Wipe Handheld.
3. Click Continue.
4. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

On some new versions of BlackBerry software, the menu navigation is slightly different.

1. Go to Options.
2. Select Security Options.
3. Select General Settings.
4. Click the Menu key.
5. Select Wipe Handheld.
6. Click Continue.
7. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

Launch the new Desk Top Software on the computer

1. Connect your device to your computer.
2. On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Update my device.
3. Do one of the following:
* To download an update, click Get update.
* To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.

Ensure the new OS is the one you prevously downloaded.

Do not disconnect the device until the whole process is completed and the device has rebooted.

After 10 minutes reboot again by removing the battery whilst powered-on and leave it out for a couple of minutes.

Leave it again for 10 minutes. You should now have a fully functioning BB!

New Contributor

Hmm..

I already tried 2 of my friend's batteries which are brand new BB's, just about 2 months old. Then I tried charging my phone with those batteries on, still the same results.

As for the data cable, that's what I always use & tried connecting the BB to the PC & Laptop both when the BB is on & when it is off. Still the same result, with my battery, with my friend's battery & even without the battery. When I wait for the PC or Laptop to recognise the connection, it always says "USB Connection not recognised"

I tried all USB ports was well; all three of my Laptop's USB ports (Laptop has Vista), PC's Front & rear USB port's (PC has Windows XP), & I even tried my office PC's USB ports (Windows 7), all cannot recognise the connection. The only way I can transfer files is through memory card reader.

I don't know what else I haven't tried apart from leaving it at the service center which I would prefer to leave as my last option. Smiley Sad

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320

Inspect the USB port on the Curve. Often lint accumulates and affects the electrical connection. To resolve use a pointy ended round toothpick and gently scrape the lint away and out of the port. A little rubbing alcohol on a qtip (with the cotton removed basically) should just fit around the tongue to clean any corrosion. Be very gentle as the port has a fragile tongue inside that can be broken if forced. Aside from that all I can think of is a bad solder joint where the port and the mainboard meet up or a faulty USB data cable. (it happens... cats love string!, excessive flexing or wear, connecting upside down causing breakage, dogs will chew anything.. etc)