Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
gringostar
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Curve 9300 won't use wifi service

So I am not the first person to have this problem.  I've been trawling the web searching for solutions but no-one seems to have any.

The problem is that my Curve 9300 will not use wifi connection instead of network data services.  I can connect to wifi networks just fine.  The phone searches the networks out, connects, puts the little icon on the home screen to say it's connected to a wifi network.  It lists the name of the network up the top.  Everything's great, except that when you actually go to use the internet, the phone connects to your data services instead of the wifi and you get charged for data consumption.

If you turn off the network services to try and force the phone to connect to the wifi instead, you get the error message:

"You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication.  As a result, the Browser cannot retrieve any web pages.  Please try again when you are in a different location, or contact your service provider if the problem persists."

To confirm:

My Data Services are on.

My APN settings are disabled.

In Advanced Options, my Default Browser Configuration is set to Hotspot browser.

In General Properties the default browser is Hotspot browser.

In Browser Configuration, the browser is set to AT&T Mobile Web.  I have tried to change it to Hotspot Browser but I save the changes and leave the screen, then when I go back in to check, it's back to AT&T again.  It's not saving the changes to make Hotspot the default configuration.

I did a battery pull to see if that would help and after the restart it allowed me to keep Hotspot as the default configuration but it still wouldn't connect if the mobile service was turned off.  It has now reverted itself back to AT&T and still won't work.

I have read the thread on the Bold forum but for all the people complaining of having the same issue, there was still no solution.  I really want a resolution to this because I do a lot of travelling and my sim card can not always connect to a local network.  I want to be able to go to a local coffee shop and be able to connect, even if I don't have phone service in a foreign airport.  I don't understand what the point is in having wifi on a phone if you can't use it.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
unleashurself
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Bharti-Airtel

Re: Curve 9300 won't use wifi service

Hi & welcome to the community...!!

You have done almost all troubleshooting but I would suggest you to delete Wi-Fi settings and perform a hard reboot of handheld by pull out battery while device is powered ON and re-insert it after a min.

Once it boot up then again connect with Wi-fi network and check.

Please confirm OS version of your handheld as well.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gringostar

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply.  I tried what you suggested but it didn't solve the problem.

The OS is v5.0.0.832 (Bundle 1399, Platform 6.3.0.31).  I ran an update scan today and it said there are no updates for it.

I may just have to do without internet until I can myself an android phone.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
unleashurself
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Bharti-Airtel

OS 6 is available for BlackBerry 9300, please log on to www.blackberry.com and download latest device software from support section, install it on your PC and then connect you device with PC using USB cable and check for device update.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gringostar

I don't know why it didn't mention that when I did an update check but I've downloaded OS6 and so far it's great.  It's fixed a lot of issues I had with web browsing and accessibility but it's still funny about wi-fi vs data.  Some things it is perfectly happy to use wi-fi for, other things it will only use data.  But it's a million times better than it was and I'm not tearing my hair out so much any more.  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
MartynS1
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: virgin mobile

I am having the same problem, my Blackberry Curve 9300 won't connect to internet through Wf-fi at all...

I recently updated the software, the serial number is 6.0 Bundle 2949 (v6.0.0.668, Platform 6.6.0.236).

I don't like the idea of burning up my meagre data allowance to go online if I can connect to a wifi network.

Can this be fixed?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jellyjam7
My Device: 9300 curve
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

was this solved?am having the same problem with my 9300, it started when battery was drained and i tried to reset to factory default, still won't connect...getting frustrated!

Please use plain text.
rohit8pisal
My Device: 9300 6.0 bundle 2342
My Carrier: loop mobile

Same problem with me using 9300
Please use plain text.