Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

fsm
Contributor
fsm
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Re: Curve 9320 locking up -need too reboot to work

This problem is still occurring.  I'm having trouble reproducing it "on demand" though. Some new info:

This morning, while the phone was in the holster from overnight, I tried calling it.  The phone rang fine, but I was unable to answer since it won't respond to the answer button.  Only the "hang up" button has any instant response.

After the call the "missed call" dialogue showed up, but the trackpad would not work. Thinking it was just lagging really badly, I held the hang up button and eventually the "phone will shutdown" popup came up, and the phone shut off.  When I powered it back up, it seemed to work.

I've tried to reproduce this issue by locking the phone, calling it in and out of holster, but I cannot get the problem to reoccur. It really seems like it needs to sit overnight before I experience the issue.  Tonight I will keep it out of holster and see if it still occurs tomorrow.

I enabled the application monitor and battery tracking yesterday, but usage seems normal and nothing odd came up.  The low battery mode is enabled but should not kick in until the charge is less than 20%, which it is not.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Ok. At Options > Device > Application Management > top of screen enable Third Party applications.

What do you have installed, please list:

5.  etc

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lola57EG
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Vodaphone

I have found that using the return key rather than the track ball appears to have cured the problem at least for the moment. It was as if the track ball was not working initially Or at least frozen.

The problem has not occurred now for at least 24 hours so hoping that it is cured 

really appreciate the help tthough cheers :Clap:

Please use plain text.
fsm
Contributor
fsm

I don't see a "3rd party applications" option, so i chose "Optional" instead.

It shows:

1. Amazon MP3 music store  1.0.1.40
  2. BBM Music 1.2.0.17
  3. BeWeather - Complimants of Blackberry 2.7.13
  4. Blackberry App World 4.0.0.63
  5. Blackberry Application Resource Monitor 1.0.0.35
  6. Blackberry Bridge 2.1.0.34
  7. Blackberry Maps 6.2.0.18
  8. Blackberry messenger 7.0.0.126
  9. BrickBreaker 7.1.0
  10. Email Setup 72.12.0326.1430
  11. Facebook 3.3.0.11
  12. Opera Mini Web browser 7.1
  13. Password keeper 7.1.0
  14. Plans Application 2.1.0.33
  15. Poynt 1.8.6
  16. Slacker Radio 4.1.24
  17. Social Feeds 2.0.0.52
  18. TTY Support 7.1.0
  19. Tunein radio Pro - Compliments of Blackberry 1.0
  20. Twitter 4.0.0.15
  21. Windows Live messenger 3.0.0.23
  22. Word Mole 7.1.0
  23. Youtube 1.0.0.45

Have installed some of those yesterday (after the problem was observed) but I can remove any of them to isolate the problem.

Please use plain text.
fsm
Contributor
fsm

Newest update:
I've tried keeping the phone out of holster and sure enough it has not locked up. So I think the problem is narrowed down: something about being holstered overnight is causing an issue.

One thing that is possible is that it could be related to the case itself, and not necessarily the act of holstering. The case is a blackberry oem slip case for a 9700 series. The 9320 fits snuggly but fine, however it is possible that the camera button remains pressed (or perhaps the bbm button on the other side). Although I can't reproduce this without waiting overnight, I wonder if having the button depressed overnight is causing a gradual slowdown until the device becomes unresponsive the next day. Even though the phone is locked via the top button, that seems at least plausible to me given I cannot reproduce the issue any other way.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

I would not use any case that is pressing buttons when it shouldn't.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I totally agree with John, and as well, I'd suggest to watch your free memory, as that as well can cause extreme sluggishness.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
fsm
Contributor
fsm

Free memory looked ok, something like 100+ megs I believe. But yes, the button thing is definitely something I was surprised to discover and definitely will be switching to another case. Will see over the next day or so if this reoccurs.
Please use plain text.
fsm
Contributor
fsm

The problem has not occurred again today. I think I can conclude now that the 9700 case I was using for the 9320 was too tight, causing the camera button to remain pressed overnight. Even though the phone was locked via the top button, something causes the phone to slow down overnight leaving it unresponsive by morning.

The solution is to ensure the case is not keeping a button pressed.

Thanks to everyone who helped diagnose this!
Please use plain text.