Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
Umfana
My Device: 9360 curve

Curve 9360 - delivery notifications and sending duplicate messages

Hi there, my network has checked for problems and all clear their side. two issues a) I am not receiving delivery reports to one specific contact, despite all the options being checked. b) messages are not delivered and then the message is re-delivered up to five times.  I have removed the battery, removed the sim, to no avail.  Please help!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Curve 9360 - delivery notifications and sending duplicate messages

Hi and Welcome to the Community...apologies for the delayed reply...hopefully you already have your answer, but just in case!

To be certain, you are asking about "Delivery" receipts that you request, by virtue of the proper setting, for emails you send from your BB. This is as opposed to "Read" receipts as well as returning of Delivery/Read receipts for emails you receive on your BB.

With that assumption, it is important to understand that delivery receipts (indeed, also read receipts) are a request...there is nothing that mandates that the request be responded to. So it is perfectly normal to have your configuration set to request delivery receipts, but to never actually receive that confirmation receipt. If, for instance, the recipient has their configuration to not send delivery receipts, then you would never receive one. Likewise if any of the servers, gateways, relays, etc. in the path between your BB and the recipient are configured to block such actions (that can be done). Hence, not receiving back a reply to a delivery receipt request is actually not an incorrect result.

Further, what you say about the redelivery attempts is also normal. In the path between your BB and the end recipient, there are many gateways, relays, servers, and other things that are in use. If, along that path, any cannot forward onto the next step in the path, they may return to you a notification that there may be a problem with your message getting through to the recipient...this is simply notification to you, and no action on your part is required. Eventually, there may be a fatal failure message if delivery can never happen, at which time you may choose to take action. But the responsible parties to any action are those admins of the servers involved in the failure step...and you'd have to find out who they are. The failure notices you receive may be useful to your email admins in diagnosing the problem. Likewise, if you can otherwise contact your intended recipient, they may as well be able to get their email admins to trace the problem if you can deliver to them those failure notices.

All in all, unless you are the email admin, there is nothing you alone can do. You must forward those failure notices to an email admin who can trace down the problem in the path to your intended recipient. There is nothing at all wrong with your BB. All that you describe is very normal happenings with email.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.