Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
lee1992
My Device: curve 9360 OS 7.1.0.336

Curve 9360 keeps rebooting itself

A friend and I have the blackberry 9360, and we've both found it randomly decides it wants to switch itself off and reboot about 3 times a day. Her phone was a day old when it started to do this, mine is about 4 months old.
We've experienced this problem on OS 7.0 and 7.1.
Anyone know why this might be ?
Contributor
blade911
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9320

Re: Curve 9360 keeps rebooting itself

I have a Blackberry 9320 and I face the same problem. I asked around and I was told that it might be due to faulty hardware or corrupt os. My phone is just one month old. My only comfort is that I have 18 months warranty so I'm thinking of using it in a BB store.
Super Contributor
f0xx386
My Device: Curve 9360

Hello Lee and blade

I'm curious as to what apps you installed if there are any.

My 9360 has don this also but after Os reload with no apps installed I experience no random reboots anymore.

Also check your log file : Press and hold "alt" and now press L G L G.

Look for dark bold entries and see if they alert you to any apps installed, if you see "uncaught or unhandled exception" delete this those apps.
Contributor
blade911

Hi Foxx,
Can you please elaborate on the "checking log file" part.. Where exacly should I hold the alt key ?? As for the apps, the only ones that I've installed are flash torch and pocket dictionary and that too from the BB app store.
Super Contributor
f0xx386

Hello

The "alt key" is below the *A button/key just press down and keep it down with your left thumb, now press letter L with right thumb, again with right thumb now press G ...release it and press L again , release it and now G....log will now appear.
Contributor
blade911

Hi Foxx,
I tried it and the log opened, only a file called "net.rim.tcp" is marked in bold. No other peculiar files were present.
Super Contributor
f0xx386

Hello,

Ok do a safe boot.

• Pull out battery.
• Hold down "back key" that's arrow key pointing left.
• While holding down arrow key insert battery.
• When screen lights up with word "blackberry" and loading bar reaches about quarter way you can release the arrow key.
• When booted up you should see a message saying device is now safe mode.
• In this way all 3rd party apps won't startup.
• Click ok not reset on prompt screen when message appeared.

Now use your phone as normal but you cannot use 3rd party apps. If you have reboot. Then we can assume on of the apps is the cause.
Contributor
blade911

Hello,
I turned on the phone in safe mode as you have suggested and so far there are no reboots (past 5 hrs). Then I guess the cause of the reboot must be the apps. Thanks a lot for your help Foxx, you've made my day..By the way since you use a BB 9360, may I ask how the battery life is on your phone ?
Super Contributor
f0xx386

Hello blade

I gotta say its **bleep**, especially Os 7 but on Os 7.1 there is noticeable difference for the better in battery life.

If you are running Os 7, I'd check your carriers website to see if they have a 7.1 release. But get them to load it for you. I had issues loading it myself....it crashed when I did it but when they did it ...no crash. I've loaded my 8520 and a friends 8310 fine with no crashes.

My phone lasts way longer os 7.1 and no heating issues.
Super Contributor
f0xx386

Also better mention this....some apps I installed where sideloaded. Desktop manager refused to load them, so I loaded it BBSAK. This is sideloading.