Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
noe_jon16
My Device: BB Curve 9360

Re: Curve 9360 unable to turn on wifi

i downloaded the BB OS Pack, installed it on my phone, turned on the wifi but it is still unable to turn on

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

At this point, I need to ask you to help me a little bit more. I'm giving you lots of information, and you are responding with very little. For instance, you didn't even tell me what OS Pack you used, so I can't tell if it was from your Carrier or another. You didn't tell me if you tried the "bare bones" method I gave you. You didn't tell me if you considered BBSAK as I advised.

I need you to help me so that I can help you...you help me by making sure that I understand exactly what you are doing. I help you by then understanding, and then being able to give you more guidance. From this brief response, all I can do is refer you back to what I already gave you...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
noe_jon16

I used the blackberry curve 9360 7.1.0.722 pack for koodo. Im not sure i understand what the bare bones method is, or what the difference from the other method is :smileysurprised: if you could explain it a little more, i will then try it since the other method did not work. I really appreciate your help!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Thanks.

OK..."bare bones" is exactly what is described above...leave off anything that is optional. When you load the OS, you get a bunch of line items for the Core OS, Languages, Maps, etc. etc. etc., each with a tic box on the right side of the screen. A bare bones install would, for any line item that you can control the check mark inside the tic box, to have it NOT checked. That way, you have the minimum things on your BB that are required to operate it, but nothing more -- "bare bones".

The process is iterative, btw...if, on an OS that is installed Bare Bones, the behavior presents, you immediately shift to a different OS package. Once you find one that does not present the behavior, then you can start slowly, one by one, adding those optional things followed by your add-ons and 3rd party apps...but, each time, running for long enough to be sure that the behavior will not present.

Lastly, as it says, if the behavior presents no matter what, then the problem is likely hardware, and no amount of OS nor software can help that. Only a qualified hardware technician with the device in their hands could then give you a better evaluation.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
noe_jon16

okay so would this be the last possible option that i can try myself? after that would i either need to send it in or get a new phone? and with bare bones will i still be able to use all the apps i am using now?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

noe_jon16 wrote:

okay so would this be the last possible option that i can try myself? after that would i either need to send it in or get a new phone? 

Given what you describe, it's all I can think of to try and narrow down the diagnosis. Note that there's no way to 100% diagnose anything, especially at this internet distance. Your next step after narrowing down would be in-person evaluation by a local (to you) qualified BB technician.

noe_jon16 wrote:

and with bare bones will i still be able to use all the apps i am using now?

Ummm...well...given that, in the bare bones condition, there are no added apps installed to the BB, just how are you thinking that you will be able to use them? Quite simply, something not installed cannot be used, can it? At first, you'll have the core-required apps (browser, messaging, calendar, contacts, etc.), but none of the optional add-ons (FaceBook, Twitter, etc.), until such time as you find an OS that does not present the behavior, at which time you will begin to add the optional things back on. But, the whole process is a diagnostic one...during diagnostics, one should never expect "normal operations" anyway, should they? Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by this...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
noe_jon16

i dont think im ready to do the barebones..... i might try to get someone to look at it.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

A reasonable choice...good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Babyface698
My Device: Bold 9900

I posted this entry elsewhere on the internet as I've been through 14 hour of making things work.
Bold 9900 - Bought August 2011 - Rogers Wireless.
Latest OS - 9900jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2108_PL5.1.0.546_A7.1.0.7 46_Rogers_Wireless_Inc.
I discovered that my Wi-Fi wasn't working last night and it wasn't connected to my linksys router. This has happened before but, reboots and a simple enabling of the Wi-Fi in managed connections was all I needed to do.

When trying to turn it on, it had said "Unable to turn on Wi-Fi." I turned off, and on, then did a battery pull and was not successful. I turned on bluetooth then it got worse. It would not turn on after a reboot. Then my phone ended up doing infinite reboots. Blackberry loading screen, then to "ROGERS welcome screen" then 2 seconds after that, it would reboot, red LED would illuminate.

I did everything that I have found online, from doing the battery pull and turning it back on after 30 seconds, to doing a complete wipe using the RIM LOADER in the common files folder, to thinking my battery was loose, and tightening it with tape. I have tried everything I can do on my own at home.

After doing many wipes, it was stable. I then connected to the BDM and tried to restore to a previous backup. While backing up, it had turned off and rebooted, and BDM gave me the "retry - update - cancel" window" (connection via USB). Infinite reboots started again after this failure. I did the clean wipe again with the Loader App, gave it another try by restoring at a much earlier (6 months ago) but then again, failure. Rebooted, went to infinite reboot again. After wiping the phone I tried turning on WiFi and Bluetooth and still, it went back to rebooting itself.

I tried doing a safe mode turn on, that did not work at all, it would just reboot over and over again.

I have completed wiping my phone, and tried restoring with different backups around 9-10 times today, and it all resulted in failures. Infinite rebooting again and again.

Went to the local mall to show a mobile phone store what has happened. They expressed that this is common with blackberry, and the best they can do is send it in for RIM to look at it. It would take 3-4 weeks for RIM to try to fix it. But can't guarantee the fix would be permanent. They have said that customers are experiencing the same thing.

After 14 hours of playing with this phone, nothing has been restored other than, starting from a clean wiped phone, activating emails and reloading all apps that I had on before.

I don't dare to try turning on WI-FI or BLUETOOTH as it will lead to another infinite reboot.

Can I live without WI-FI and Bluetooth on this Bold 9900? Yes I can cause, the Galaxy S4 will be coming out on April 27th.

Hope my experience will save other peoples time.
Please use plain text.