Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

bakpls
My Device: Curve 8350
My Carrier: US Cellular

Curve keeps overheating and draining battery

I am on my second BB Curve and am having the same problem.  It gets very hot and drains the battery.  The first one was replaced because US Cellular said it appeared to be a problem with some of the Curves. However, it is happening again with my new one.  Anyone else having this problem?  I don't have any unusual apps running in the background so that can't be it.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Curve keeps overheating and draining battery

Press the Menu key > Switch Applications... what do you have running in the background?

Is the browser closed or open to an active website?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

I do tech support and warranty for a major US provider (which will remain unnamed for neutrality reason), and can tell you its one of 3 things, charger, phone, or battery. Typically witha  warranty replacement, you are still using the same battery or charger. in this case, i would lean more towards battery... unless it gets really hot while charging aswell. let us all know!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Please use plain text.
redbean25
My Device: Curve 8530

Both my wife and I had the same problem.  Phone got dangerously hot, and wouldn't respond to the charger cable anymore when plugged in.  The phone was just dead.  Mind did it 33 days after I got the phone and her about 62 days after.  Verizon replaced both phones free of charge with no question.  Needless to say I was annoyed...and am just wondering when the replacement will have the problem.

Please use plain text.
natnatbinks
My Carrier: US Cellular

I got a Curve 8530 in February from US Cellular and only recently started having similar issues. Would you recommend trying to get a new phone, or just a new battery?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

as was previously asked press menu key>switch applications.

the only time my Curve gets hot is when I have 2 large group chats going while doing other things.

Havent had a problem and I have had it almost 2 years

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Greekone
My Device: Not Specified

My BB Curve 8530 overheated this week. Charged the battery, unplugged the charger, left it over night, next morning phone very warm, took battery out, too hot too touch.  Let it cool off, recharged it, died in about an hour.  US Cellular replaced the battery, phone still warm, did an upgrade that is suppose to fix the problem (apparently this is an issue they are aware of)  If that didn't work they told me they would replace my phone.  It hasn't worked so I will be getting a new phone.  All under warranty, but a pain none-the-less.

Please use plain text.
Handyman66
My Device: BBCurve 3G

I just got my first BB and it overheated while it was OFF . It also drained the battery. Are these things  junk or what ? Whats the deal ?  This thing could burn someone ! I AM NOT HAPPY. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Greekone
My Device: Not Specified

I would definitely go back to your cell phone provider. They know that these phones have problems and should replace it with no problem. They went good on a replacement and my new one so far is not having any issues.  Good luck.

Please use plain text.
gasarah

I am having the same problem! This was happening to my Curve8530 and so I made a insurance claim and literally JUST received my replacement phone. I mean I haven't even mailed the defective phone back yet and this "replacement" is doing the same thing. I have read the majority of replies below, but I have multiple chargers and multiple batteries that I have been trying with no luck.....any other ideas???
Please use plain text.