Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Triplegmn
My Device: Not Specified

Curve not syncing or recognized by desktop/desktop manager. :(

Picked up my new Curve one month ago, first time BB user, and love it. Problem is, I'm having problems getting it to sync with my desktop manager. I've read countless posts on different fixes, tried them and still can't get it to sync or be recoginized. It's a Sprint phone. Here are the details:

running on v4.3.0.127 OS

Desktop manager v4.7

When I first got the phone in December and installed the DM v4.5 that came on the CD, my BB would not sync or be recognized. I went back to the store, and in order to fix some other things, they did a hard reset. When I came home, my computer and the DM would recognize my BB and I could easily sync with outlook and transfer music using Roxio. About a week later, I changed the media card to a 8G card to accomodate my music/photos/video and everything still worked. The night before a long trip, I went to sync and then my computer/DM again would not recognize the blackberry when I plugged it in. I get the icon next to the battery for a second (showing it realized that the USB port was plugged in) but then went away. No matter how I altered plugging it in, then starting DM, or vice versa, it just wouldn't sync. I tried accessing my card directly from windows but it was never recognized as a drive either. I've tried to soft boot it (taking out battery while on) to reset it. I can take my card out, and put it into a port on my printer that reads cards, and access the media card that way, but can't find a way to get my desktop to recognize it again. I'm running XP with latest SP and all updates. Nothing has changed on my desktop during these problems, except that I changed the Desktop Manager to v4.7 (after doing a clean install and wiping out everything, including inside the registry file)

I have a ton of text messages, calendar items, etc. that I want saved, so I am hoping that I can get it to sync and backup/save everything before doing a hard reset like the store did. I'm open to all suggestions, and am fairly savvy about computers. I figure that it has to be in the BB software, since it worked after the first hard reset.

Just for information:

I get that annoying 'ear pop' between songs when using earplugs.

I wish Sprint would include MMS capabilities in their upgrade

I love my BB

BJ_Sprint

Re: Curve not syncing or recognized by desktop/desktop manager. :(

Try the back port on your pc.  Or if you’re using a laptop that doesn’t have a back port, try the main port. Only 1 usb port is wired directly to the motherboard. 
Contributor
jrmerrill

Re: Curve not syncing or recognized by desktop/desktop manager. :(

[ Edited ]

I havent tried to move over some things like Calendar entries, etc, so I'm not sure on that, but overall my experience trying to 'Sync' my Curve has also been a hair-pulling frustration.   I've concluded that moving files directly, without 3rd party 'syncing' software, is far less troublesome.  Media files (music, photos, video) can be moved from your PC hard drive to the BB Media Card (presuming you've enabled USB Mass Storage mode) by simple drag & drop, and they transfer over without a hitch.   For folks that like to swap different songs in & out all the time that may not be ideal, and lets not even talk about playlists, which I've put on the back burner.  

And yes, the wonderful POPS that are ruining our media experience with this device.  :smileymad:  RIM is hopefully getting the message by now on this, (knock, knock, RIM ??) but do feel free to add your footprints to the other threads on this topic.

<edit> I just read the first post some more, forgive me but I didnt see the root of your problem.  If your BB is not even being recognized, try some of these if you havent already...

- take-battery-out reset method for BB

- disconnect BB and reboot PC

- connect BB and bring up the BB 'Desktop Manager' software, sometimes that will reawaken the connection

- unplug/replace the USB cable that youre using to connect to the BB

- do a search on this forum or the main BB site for USB drivers - I'm sorry I can't give you a link right now but I think  read that there is a way to install some kind of supplemental USB drivers that enables/improves BB connection.  More experienced users prob have this one bookmarked.

Hope something in there helps.

Message Edited by jrmerrill on 01-12-2009 08:28 PM