Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

medmonson
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Curve shuts off

My Curve shuts off too.  Usually when I try to get infor from the address book.  Is BB working on a fix?  How do I contact them?
Visitor
KidKnee

I am also having this problem. It seems to have happened when I was upgraded to the latest OS rev, and a possible incompatibility with my Today Plus Theme.
New Contributor
swirlygirl

I'm having the same random shutdown problem with a brand new Pearl 8110.  I'd had it 5 days the first time it happened, then it shut down 3-4 addl times in the next week.  Will only restart by removing the battery and replacing it, and waiting 5 minutes for everything to restart.  ATT  agreed it was a lemon and gave me a new one on Saturday - and this one shut down this a.m., just 48 hours later.  It seems absurd that I just paid for a BB and signed another 2 yr contract - and I'm already reading forums to figure out how to make my danged phone reliable.  Worse yet, I don't use it for texting or email or internet - I only bought a smartphone so that I could sync it with my outlook calendar.   As you can guess, I have not added apps - have not even had time to add photos or any music, so memory is not an issue.  Anyone know of a reason that I should stick it out, and not cancel my contract while I can?  Any suggestions as to better option, if my only non-phone need is syncing with Outlook? Thanks!! 
New Contributor
swirlygirl

Re: Curve shuts off **MORE INFO

Oh yeah, I'm not doing ANYTHING when it shuts off.  I'll just pick it up to use it, and it's dead.  Might've just used it, or might not have used it for hours.  It's fully charged - have only had the repl 2 days, and charged it each night.  This morning it went dead just a few minutes after I unplugged it - I put it near my purse so that I wouldn't forget it, then picked it up 10 minutes later and nothing.  I haven't upgraded the OS - shouldn't the OS it came with WORK???
New Contributor
mark888

Re: Curve shuts off **MORE INFO

[ Edited ]

I posted earlier in this thread about my Blackberry Curve shutting off. I tried a new Curve and a new battery, but neither solved the problem. Recently I upgraded the OS using the Blackberry OS using Balckberry Desktop Manager, and I have not had any shutdowns since then (about two months).

However, I will add one thing--I have only used the USB cable on my computer to charge the unit since upgrading the OS. Previously I used a wall plug charger to charge the unit, and not sure if that was part of the problem.

Message Edited by mark888 on 05-04-2009 09:38 PM
terpamber

[ Edited ]
Mine does the same thing its a few months old it completly powers up and then as soon as the home screen is stable it shuts off. I cant make it stay on for any length of time. I've tried everything I can think of new battery pluging it in ....I don't have a PC so I can't do the updates that way but I do call Verizon from time to time to see if they need to push any through. Although I haven't yet for this one since it was only a few months old. Also with Verizon we do updates for the towers from time to time and I do this at least every month. I've had problems before that they blamed on using to much memory I now clear my internet catche daily and close out of everything I also delete photos and emails daily and keep a minimum on the SD card. Still this happens.
Message Edited by terpamber on 05-06-2009 10:58 PM
New Contributor
mark888

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think they can push a new copy of the OS to your Blackerrry via wireless.
agpaoab

Wow, there are so many people I know who had the same problem.  A few of them already switched to the iPhone after so many solutions provided that did not work.  My wife and I are going through the same thing with our Blackberry Curve 9320.  We had it for a year now.  No matter how much we charge the phones, it dies once we receive calls, call out and/or access the internet.  We asked the service providers (T-Mobile) and we got so much solutions that did not work. First, they mentioned changing the sim card. Then it was mentioned that if we use the sim card to another phone, it will damage it too. It was followed by another solution of upgrading the software from 4.2 to 4.5 and above.  We tried, it did not work.  We have been going through this for almost 2 months now and no solution accept to upgrade the phones which we may have to pay for. What is your advice on this?
agpaoab

I meant the Blackberry Curve 8320, not 9320.
New Contributor
mark888

agpaoab, Did you actually update the OS on your phone (not just update the Balckberry Desktop Manager). I upgraded to 4.5.0.110 on my Blackberry 8310 (AT&T) and it fixed my problem. You can see the version in Setting, Options, About on your Blackberry Curve.