Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

alise930
My Device: Not Specified

Curve shuts off

My curve keeps shutting off at any given time for no reason.  What is the cause of this?

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Curve shuts off

you have to remember and give us details on what was happening just before the shutting down.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
djohnston41

My Curve also keeps shutting off for no reason.  It seems to do so after I have looked up information in the address book, but without having made a call.  I've never caught it red-handed in shutting off.  It only does so when I'm not looking.  Please don't suggest that the right workaround is to keep staring at my Curve.   :-)
New Contributor
spikyjon

My 8330 began doing this just the other day. I pulled the battery to do a hard reboot after first attempting to hold down the power button to turn the phone on, which didn't work. With the battery back in, the phone powered on and the hour glass was there for a lot longer than usual. Then I see the Verizon Wireless logo come up, and then my home screen. When the security software finishes loading, the phone will power off almost immediately afterwards. 

The funny thing is that since this began happening 2 days ago, it started working fine again for about 24 hours and then began doing it again last night with the same symptoms. Occasionally now the home screen will stay on and the phone won't immediately turn off. When this occurs, I have no use of my trackball or keyboard. The screen stays blank as well unless I plug it into a power source. I had a friend call and text my phone and it rang etc. but I couldn't answer it. 

Does that help with obtaining some kind of diagnosis for this problem? Is anyone else having similar symptoms like this? 

New Contributor
djohnston41

Yes, I should have mentioned also that the BB won't restart unless I take the battery out and go through the same long bootup.
aw
Visitor
aw

Re: Re: Curve shuts off

I've got the same problem and my phone is 2 days old - not n very good experince to have with your 1 blackberry phone.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

is the battery fully charged ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
spikyjon

Battery is fully charged, yes. 
New Contributor
djohnston41

My battery is also fully charged when it has happened to my Curve.  Strange.
New Contributor
mark888

My 8310 with AT&T service shut off randomly, usually at night. I returned it for replacement, and after 2 weeks the new unit does the same thing.

One thing I noticed is that when I pull the battery and reinsert the batter to power the unit back up, the battery indicator is on the last bar, even though it was fully charged before I went to bed. The unit is stored in a official Blackberry magnetic case, which powers the LCD down when the placed in the case (it senses the magnet). I think there is something that is discharging the battery, and then it probably shuts off because of low battery power.

This retailer admitted that other customers have been returning units for the same problem. This is a serious problem that they had better fix in a hurry or the bad publicity is going to kill RIMM (the stock price is already on life-support).  I use my Blackberry to receive automated emails for technical support of computer systems, and I must have it activated at all times (especially at night) and I can't wake up in the middle night every hour to see if it is still working.