Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Chloe_Cheer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Curve shuts off **MORE INFO

I have the blackberry flip 8220. i'v called my sercice provider a million times about this problem and basically there are 3 things you can do. first try using the desktop manager to backup and restore your blackberrybut only back the essentials such as internet ect. and not your adress book since there is clearly a glitch in the adresss book. that should fix the problem.. if it doesn't ask your service provider for a new sim card, make sure it's updated becuase if it isn't recent the problem may be that your blackberry isn'able to connect to the internet properly and thats why it keeps shutting down. lastly, some blackberries and other smartphones have a 1 year warrenty, so try getting a free replacement
Please use plain text.
kuringmundo
My Device: curve 8900

Re: Curve shuts off

i have exactly the same problem with spikyjon's 8330, its uncanny. i have a curve 8900, and it had its first episode last month. before it shut down, it had a few "symptoms" i should say, first the trackball was going haywire. 2nd the buttons were typing the wrong characters when texting. and then after a while it just shut down. i tried to turn it on with the on button, but it didnt. so i did the whole remove battery and memory card trick. the red light flashed and the the phone boots (after about 3 mins or so). the home screen then shows, and fades away and dies. the weird thing is, when i left the phone like this, after a few hours, the LED light flashed indicating a low charge. and then when the time came where previously set my phone to alarm, it goes off on the dot. like its in sleep mode or something.

i decided to switch phones to have the unit checked, but since it was the holidays, i postponed it for a few days. but when i decided what the heck, ill see if its still broken, lo and behold, its like nothing happend. it was working perfectly well. although after 10 hours it died in the middle of a call when it was on loud speaker. im still gona have it checked and hopefully replaced.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iturbide
My Device: Not Specified

I had the same problem.

The problem started like two weeks ago. My Blackberry 8320 phone start to shut down unexpectedly.

I cannot determine exactly when it shuts down. It seems to happen when more energy were required form the battery when it connecting to the Cell Phone network. Shut Down may happen when receiving a phone call, message, in the middle of a phone conversation.

I had also shut down without any notice just after an sync with the USB cable attached to a computer. It also shuts down if it is plugged to the wall charger.

I had tried the following:

1)Update the Blackberry OS to the last versions.

Now it has version 4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106) Kernel v3.8.5.32a installed and the problem remains.

2) Change the Battery.

I had adquired a new battery and the problem remains the same.

3) A complete Wipe out of the Blackberry memory with all applications

I tried this one. I extracted a full backup and wipped the memory of the BB.

The result still the same. The Blackberry keeps shutting down.

4) the Memory. I had removed hte 4GB Mini SD.

The problem remains without memory.

5) Test it with other SIM Card

I had used other SIM Card and the phone keeps shutting down.

I had replaced the SIM card and test without a SIM card, the phone still shuts down

WORKARROUND:

I had found a workaround that worked, it is not elegant, but it seems to solve the shutting down problem partially.

I had located a piece of paper making pressure between the internal part of the phone and the upper part of battery, so the contact pins are pushed down. For the moment the phone seems to work without shutting down.

1989iD5FE8FE54D8551F7

So it seems that the problem goes in that direction. It will be great if someone can point out a more elegant and technical way to solve it without using the paper. Something like whch internal phone connections should be checked.

Please use plain text.
reuvenbrudner
My Device: Curve 8310

i have the same problem which has turned my cell phone obsolete for right now.  can you please explain the paper issue u were talking about?  thx.

Please use plain text.
Ny-Ny
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

Literally the exact same thing happens to my curve!

Please use plain text.
CMiles
My Device: Curve 8530

Ive had mine for almost a month now and It happened for the first time this morning. I tried all of the previous recommendations and I hope the problem wont continue. Is this just a problem people are having with the Curves? I noticed the topic heading. No one with a Bold or Storm seems to be having these problems? Im not sure I havent read the entire thread. Im about to call Verizon in hopes they can tell me something I dont already know. If that doesnt work depending on whether or not its just the Curve I may upgrade to  a Bold. or possibly even switch to iPhone.

Please use plain text.
gjrowe
My Device: Curve 8350i

I have a Curve 8350i. It has shut-down a couple times randomly even while in use. Attempts to turn it back on are unsuccessful. I got it back on a couple times just by pure luck... I tried and tried put it down, tried and tried later, put it down again.... tried again and it turned on.

One thing I did notice though is that if I remove the battery, plug it in without the battery, wait for the red light to go out and turn it on.... It will come on but only display the missing battery icon. It does that faithfully everytime which leads to to believe the phone is likely ok and there is probably a problem with the battery. I'll have to wait till later to try a new battery. We'll see if that helps.

Please use plain text.
Lnette
My Device: Curve 8530

I feel like my curve has made me crazy. They have sent me 3 curves, another battery and had me wipe the OS. The last thing was that maybe it was some app that was causing that but how can an app cause my phone to re-boot just by being set down. That's where mine seems to be differnet from others. It's when it is tapped or just laid down. I have to be very careful or it will shut off and have to re-boot taking up to 2 minutes. I've had long coversations with 2 Verizon reps that can never get through to a Blackberry technician.  SO I just did the paper in the battery trick. Guess what???? I can't get it to shut off. Do you think it's possible that all 3 of my curves have had the same issue and it just didn't show up until I had used them for a while? This is a major design flaw if so. I was on my way to the store to get a different phone today.

Please use plain text.
BuzzBerry
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

Mine does the exact same thing in NC. sometimes works fine,

Please use plain text.
va3mhd
My Device: Blackberry 9630

In response to the blackberry shutting off when placed down on a desk or bumped gently causing it to turn off and back on again, this is due to the springs and the gold plated battery terminals making intermittent contact. This is how to fix it:

1. Use a cardboard business card as a shim and place it in the opposite end from the battery terminal where the 4 pins make contact. This business card shim causes pressure to be placed on the battery, the battery terminal and phone battery connector pins.

2. Check the battery terminal to make sure there aren't any pits in the gold plating. Pits in the plating of the battery terminal will also cause the battery terminal spring loaded pins to make poor contact, resulting in your phone shutting off when bumped.

3. If there are pits on the battery terminal, use a sharp object to smooth down the pits on the terminal (be careful not to short your battery while doing this!!!) Ths will help with the contact surfaces being nice and smooth to make good contact.

4. Layer the cardboard business card shim if greater stability and pressure is needed to push the battery terminal against the spring loaded pins of the Blackberry. Insert the card shim, then slide the battery over the card shim to make good pressure once the battery is inserted.

5. Test it out by gently tapping your assembled Blackberry on a hard surface to see if it shuts off or not. If it doesn't, then voila! The cardboard business card battery shim worked!

Please use plain text.