Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
djohnston41
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Curve shuts off

More information on the sudden shut-down of my Blackberry Curve.  It seems to shut off when there has been a lengthy period of user inactivity.  I noted, after a lengthy period of inactivity, that the power indicator showed high.  I shut the unit off manually and then re-started it. The battery level then showed very low.  

Here's what I speculate may be happening: I suspect that the o/s only fetches battery status information when, or shortly after, there is user activity.  If there is no user activity, the battery status may appear to be "stuck" in high power because no user activity has meant that the o/s hasn't checked status.  I believe, therefore, that the auto shut-off feature then shuts off the machine because it correctly diagnoses low power, even though the indicator incorrectly shows high power.

This is all speculation.  However, it may be a testable theory.  Anyone game? 

New Contributor
mark888

I am not so sure that the battery is low when mine shuts off. At least it shouldn't be low. I had a shutdown happen again today, and the battery showed 4 bars when I rebooted (after pulling and reinserting the battery), which about what I would suspect since I rarely used it at all since the last full charge about 24 hours previous to that.

markbwnc

I have the same problem, I've had the curve for 2 weeks now and it has shut down at least 8 times that I know of IE: on a call BB shuts down I get white screen/hour glass/reboot. it's happened 2 times today already and after searching online it seems to be a common problem and so far I haven't read a solution.

From what I've read people have returned the BB and have gotten a replacement BB only to have the same thing happen again, they have also been told to pull the battery daily etc. (which I have done 3x"s ) I joined this bullentin board to try to find a solution and so far no luck.

Anyone else?

Markbwnc

New Contributor
djohnston41

I imagine that RIM monitors these posts and that they will communicate with those affected prior to the commencement of any class action.
New Contributor
ambush

Sometimes mine does when certain sounds run through it. For example I used to have this certain set of headphones thatwhen I pulled them out of the jack made a pitch noise run through the berry and that sound would spometimes open a program or shut the phone down or certain webpage could cause it.
Contributor
hear-this

I have the Curve (8330, Verizon).  The same thing happened to me when it was 1-2 months old.  After several back-and-forths with BlackBerry and the experts on this thread, the only solution was to return the phone and exchange for a new one.  My new one has lasted 3-4 months, and now once again, the problem is back.

The problem is the same as described here, for the most part.  The keys won't 'wake up' the phone.  After I pull the battery, I get the 3 minute hour-glass, security software check, and then home screen.  On my home screen, I can scroll around with the trackball, but I can't select anything.  No other keys work.  After I stop scrolling, the screen goes black, and no keys 'wake up' the phone, once again.  I can see incoming calls, but can't answer them.  It rings when I have a text, calender reminder, or alarm, but I can't access them.  No buttons work AT ALL!!

The problem just came to the new phone yesterday.  The phone was fully charged, as I charged it before and after the problem occured.  I also created a 'BackUp' restore-point (highly recommended to anyone with this problem) via USB cable, which was also charging the phone, still nothing.  BUT...I had the phone off the charger overnight last night, and this morning I find it is working!?!?  I know the problem is going to come back...but when? Where?  During which major event that I am coordinator for?  I dread to think of it...

...I may be switching to iPhone...

Visitor
teewatts

I believe I have fixed this issue on my 8310. I had an 8300 with this issue and the issue and the issue followed me to the 8310. The issue turned out to be the battery. Once I replaced the battery my phone opperated fine.

I hope this nets me a Free Blackberry Storm from RIM! :smileywink:

New Contributor
spikyjon

[ Edited ]

The problem isn't actually the battery. I used to work for Verizon and this occurred while I was there. I took spare, brand new batteries and tested them in my phone and it didn't change anything. To this date I haven't found any solution for this problem and haven't heard anything from Blackberry documenting the problem and how to fix it. It is a real pain if this happens to you. Verizon simply replaced my phone with no hassle. With this problem, the phone does function enough for you to transfer all of your data to your computer so that it can in turn be transferred to your new Blackberry. I do hope this problem does get some attention and there is eventually a fix for it. 

I've been using this new 8330 since I received the replacement back in October with no trouble at all. I have heard that part of this problem could be that there is too much data being stored to the phone and there is no more memory for it to perform certain functions. The same happens with a desktop pc. It becomes slow and doesn't function properly. The solution would be to get an 8gb microSD card and use it to store data you want to save. If you receive excessive emails as I usually do with my line of work, it's good to keep them only for 15 days and delete the ones you don't save.  

Message Edited by spikyjon on 02-05-2009 11:39 PM
New Contributor
mark888

I have tried two 8110 Curves, and two different batteries with my second Curve. I think the problem may be certain applications that are downloaded that do not actually shut off when you exit them, or maybe they are taking too much memory (as suggested above), or have a memory leak (a common problem with new software). I had trouble with Google maps, and etrade applications. I am not happy about this, because these two applications are a big part of the reason I got the Blackberry and the $30 month unlimited data plan from AT&T.
New Contributor
AllyMcBeal

Hi all,

I posted yesterday about this problem with my Curve 8310.

Today was the pits.  It was shut off more than on.

I went back to the AT&T store and got the same line about waiting for a new battery and then see if it makes any difference.  If not, then request a different device under my warranty which is about to expire (Feb. 14th).

I backed up my data last night.

The weird part is mine is fine while plugged into my PC or the AC, it's just when it's on battery it shuts down.

I hope I can get this resolved.  I'm paying too much money not to have a BB to use! 

Maybe I should think about another smartphone?

Ally