Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

DM error on backup

I nstalled 4.5 and when creating a backup I get the error message "error backing up database(s)". This happens while backing up the Policy segment.
This also happened while using 4.6.
Any help would be most welcomed

I am using VISTA with sp1 installed.  

Thankyou in advance.

Moutos.

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: DM error on backup

Does it say which database it's failing on? While backing up you should notice a status bar of the different databases being backed up. If it keeps failing on the same one it may means that there is a corrupt entry in that database. So you can try a few things:

1. What version of the Desktop Manager do you have? If you don't have 4.5 or 4.6  then download load them from here, and try the backup again
  2. Go into Backup and Restore | Advanced. Using CTRL+mouse click, select all the databases except the one having the error. Then hit the arrow pointing to the left. After the entries are copied to the left side just save them by going to File | Save As. This will save the entries to an IPD file on your computer.
  3. If that fails you may have to clear the database giving you the error. So once again go back into Backup and Restore | Advanced. Select the database giving you trouble on the right side and hit the clear button. This will erase all the entries from that database. Afterwards try doing the backup.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

thanks for the reply, that sounds like it will work,im just worried what clearing that data base will affect,  I will attempt it right now and post in a few the results.  BTW, do you post on pinstack?
Elite I

Sorry I don't post on pinstack
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor

it is failing when backing up policies.  Should I just clear that then and backup?  I am using dm 4.5 right now.

New Contributor

actually, it's profiles it's failing on...so this would mean that I will have to clear my profiles out of the phone for the backup or would it possibly be just one profile that is the culprit?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If you installed one DM on another you will want to remove the latest DM and use this procedure to clean your machine:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

If it's failing on profiles use the same procedure to remove them and restore from the last backup previous to the failure.

Let me know

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-25-2008 08:39 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Elite I

[ Edited ]
There's no way to know which profile is causing it. So I would clear that database then try the backup. Just keep in mind you'll have to re-setup all your profile settings
Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 09-25-2008 09:12 PM