Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
tpanchal1
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300

Data Usage on BB Curve 9300

I have a couple of questions, I recently activated a BB Curve 9300 on a basic talk & text plan (I don't have a data plan at the moment, I do plan on updating my plan in the near future).

I'm within wi-fi range almost 99.99% of the time, so I was wondering:

1. Can I connect to my home router using Wi-Fi without being charged for data usage?
  2. Can I install apps from BB App World (downloaded from my desktop) onto my device without being charged?
  3. Can I use things such as BBM while connected to Wi-Fi, without a data plan?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Data Usage on BB Curve 9300

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Regardless of pathway (wifi versus carrier data network), certain services require subscription to an adequate data plan from your carrier. See this for general guidance:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
tpanchal1
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300

I'm afraid the link you provided did not help much. My primary concern / query was whether or not I could surf the net with just my home router. My phone has 3G capabilities, so I'm wondering if I can browse while connected at home.

I read somewhere that I can, then I'm reading in other places I can't.

In the Setup section of my device, it says "you may avoid data charges"
I'm a little iffy about it now, because I'm not sure if I'll be charged. 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

That information is, by it's very nature, generic. With hundreds of carriers in the world each with dozens of different data plans, it's impossible to know exactly what your carrier has for you. Consequently, the formal answer can only come from those who handle your account...your carrier. They determine, by virtue of what you subscribe to from them, what services you have and do not have. They set the billing structure. They set your capabilities. So, if you wish for a formal and official answer, the only place to make that inquiry is to your carrier. Hopefully you will find someone there who has adequate knowledge.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code