Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
mindspace
My Device: Curve 9300

Dead Curve 9300

Hello all

Someone has given me a Curve 9300.

At the moment it is completely dead. Plugging it into a charger does nothing - the battery does not charge and no LED's illuminate. I know that the battery is working as I've tried it in a 8520.

The thing is that they say they dropped it but it is immaculate inside and out and the only damage to it are scratches on the lens.

Any suggestions where I can start trying to figure out what's wrong with it?

I know it's a needle in a haystack as it could be anything but suggestions welcome :smileyhappy:

-------------------------------------
If my post is useful to you, please click 'LIKE'
If my post solves your issue, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Super Contributor
f0xx386
My Device: Curve 9360

Re: Dead Curve 9300

Contributor
mindspace

I've tried all of those. BB Desktop doesn't even register that the device is connected. Again The 8520 works on the same connection.

Anything else I can try?

Super Contributor
f0xx386

Is the battery door sitting securely and is the battery a little loose in compartment?

Try either wedging a piece of business card to ensure the battery connects well to the pins. Or place the business card on top of the battery if battery door is loose, or both.

Is there a sd card in it, that was there when it fell. If yes, then remove it. Might as well not use the same sim also.

Then try again.
Contributor
mindspace

:No: still nothing

If the screen had popped or was damaged, would that prevent the LED from lighting or would that still work?

I have a vague recollection that the last 8520 I had a cracke screen on killed the LED until the screen was replaced although I could be wrong?

Is it worth trying the 9300 mainboard in an 8520 middle housing (as obviously that would be a new set of battery contacts and new LED)?

I'm comfortable with replacing internal parts if required but I don't want to do it if it won't make any difference.

I don't think it was water damaged as none of the indicators have been activated and the battery fit wasn't as tight as the 8520 I have here but wasn't exactly loose either.

Super Contributor
f0xx386

Hello

I'm embarrassed to say that when it comes opening up a blackberry, I know nothing.

Maybe its time to PM one of the technical experts like John Clark.

Granted the 8520 and 9300 are almost identical but with of 3G and GPS capabilities on the 8520.

Will taking the 8520 screen and trying on the 9300 board be wiser than moving the latters board over?
Contributor
mindspace

Alas it's not that simple - there are 3 or 4 different kinds of screen on the same device and the only way to find out is to dismantle the screen and get the code number.

I'll try the screen as it's only a £5 part so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your help thus far though. I'll keep you posted

Super Contributor
f0xx386

True, you just jumpstarted my memory, it may interest you know, that some tech guys when struggling to find the correct LCD for a blackberry have resorted to removing the hard coded lcd info from the device to so that another lcd could be used. Provided its just the code that's different but specs are same.

A individual at CB, going as Waynetech succuessfully done this with a 8520.
Super Contributor
f0xx386

This maybe moronic, but I've similar issues on laptops........either black screen, white screen.

1.) White screen: power and the computer is actually working other than this.

2.) Competely dead.........nothing, not charging, not coming on.

Answer/FiX-----------CMOS is dead!

Does this phone have a cmos battery, it should......your phone is a handheld pc.

There I said it........worked on amilo fujitsu siemens laptop.........hand me crawling up the wall for six months...

•To reset cmos quick fix: remove battery and hold "end call/power" button for 15 seconds.

• Reset cmos if quick fix fails: remove battery and cmos battery from the board to discharge and reset.

Super Contributor
f0xx386

Edit: quick for fix: remove battery, insert charger and press "end call" for 15 seconds.