Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
StormD
My Device: Not Specified

Dear RIM, please add "Add to Contact" function

[ Edited ]

Dear RIM, Please consider the following method to make BlackBerry Contact List management a little bit happier of an experience for the user. This comes up more often than you'd think:

Use case 1: Email arrives from an individual who is in my Address Book, but who I do not have an email address for, or who I do not have *this* email address for. I wish to add this address to their Contact information in my Address Book.

Use case 2:  Phone call from an individual who is in my Address book, but who I do not have a phone number for, or who I do not have *this phone number for. I wish to add this phone number to their Contact information in my Address Book.

Expected smart phone behavior:

1. Highlight Email address/phone number from within message app/phone log application,

2. Click menu key,

3. Select "Add to existing contact..." to open address book search,

4. Type first few letters of desired contact name to highlight desired contact (alternatively, scroll through with trackball if you've got a short list or are a masochist),

5. Click trackball/enter key/etc to open contact,

6. Click trackball/enter key/etc to save.

Actual steps to complete task for an email address:

1. Highlight the sender name in the email "From:" field,

2. Click menu key

3. Scroll down, WAY past "copy" to select "Show Address"

4. Click menu key again (!)

5. NOW select "copy" (Why isn't the email app smart enough to copy the address and not the display namein a from: field by default anyway or offer a "copy address" option)

6. Exit message app completely to the Home Screen, because for some reason the built-in application-switcher does not include the Address Book,

7. Find Address Book in Home/Application Screen (which now needs to either unnecessarily take up valuble home screen real estate, or require extra clicks and trackball scrolling to get to),

8. Open the Address book (notice how in the "expected behavior, there were only 6 steps, and we're only just now in the Address Book list? P.S. When you type a contact name from the home screen, you can call the contact, email the contact, but NOT edit the contact...not how I'd have done it),

9. Type first few letters of desired contact name to highlight desired contact,

10. Click trackball/enter key/etc to open contact,

11. Click menu key,

12. Select Edit,

13. Click menu key,

14. Select Add Email Address,

15. Click Trackball or Menu key,

16. Select Paste,

17. Click Escape Key,

18. Select Save.

Me whenever I get an email or phone call from someone who I happen to have imported from my facebook, or who changed their email, or switched jobs, changed numbers, has multiple addresses/phones, or whatever: :-(

Is one line on the menu too much to ask? At the very least, this use case would be acceptable:

1. Click Menu Key,

2. Select Add to Address Book,

3. Present user with option "New Contact..." (Default) or "Add to Existing Contact..." (would scroll down and click to enter address book and choose contact to add info to),

4. Continue interface as appropriate.

Message Edited by StormD on 05-26-2009 04:46 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Gibscreen

Re: Dear RIM, please add "Add to Contact" function

x1000! 

On every cell phone before I got my BB this has been an option.  With how intuitive and smart my "smart" phone is on virtually everything else, I was shocked to find this option not available, especially considering the level of detail you can include in the address book. 

Please use plain text.
travisn000

..like most of these minor annoyances, there is an app to fix this:

http://www.mobihand.com/MoreMobile247/product.asp?id=28446&n=Add-To-Contact

Please use plain text.
mthexuma

Why can't this function be added?  It really should be on this phone when it has been on all other phones for years.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

Hey guys, welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

This really isn't the place to request features. These forums are for user to user support. If you want to send suggestions, use the following email: bbsuggestions@rim.net

Cheers,

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vipinthecity

i agree

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

JSanders mentioned this app that fulfills this function: http://www.copy2contact.com/

A free trial is available and you can purchase it if you like.

Cheers,

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.