Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
VRaj
My Device: Blackberry Playbook and Curve 9300

Deletion of Countries and Languages

Under files in my BB Curve, two of the folders are "countries" and ""languages".  These two have countries and languages I don't need.  Countries folder occupies about 80MB and Languages about 32MB.  In each of the country folder, there are two files - 1 pdf and one shockwave flash object.  In languages, there's only a pdf document.

Is it safe to remove the subfolders of countries and languages I don't need?  Are the files used anywhere in the software?  I have not installed any language other than English.

Thanks

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: Deletion of Countries and Languages

VRaj wrote:

Under files in my BB Curve, two of the folders are "countries" and ""languages".  These two have countries and languages I don't need.  Countries folder occupies about 80MB and Languages about 32MB.  

Hello VRaj

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Where are you getting those files and folders ? Is it under the OS packages that you have installed in your PC .

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor
VRaj

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply.  When I connect my phone to my laptop, it gets mapped to drive G: as Removable Disk (G: )

Under this drive, the folders are

apps

Blackberry

databases

db_temporary

eBooks

Files

In Files folder, there are 3 sub-folders - countries, exec, languages.

I hope this helps.

Elite II
prince2012

VRaj wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  When I connect my phone to my laptop, it gets mapped to drive G: as Removable Disk (G: )

Under this drive, the folders are

apps

Blackberry

databases

db_temporary

eBooks

Files

In Files folder, there are 3 sub-folders - countries, exec, languages.

Hi VRaj

Have you manually transfered those . exe files in your device memory !

If your concern is with those languages then the best and safe way to delete those languages from your device is by using BlackBerry Desktop Software , you can download the recent version of Desktop software from here  BlackBerry desktop software 

Once you have Desktop Software Installed in your PC , connect your device and run BlackBerry Desktop Software > Click on Applications ( wait till the application list refresh ) > Scroll down to Language and Input Support > Click on X sign to delete and + sign to add any languages from your device .

Please note while doing so be sure that your PC has an active internet connection.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor
VRaj

Hi Prince,

I have the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software and use it to manage my phone.  I have not transferred the "exec" folder manually.  The "exec" folder has two sub-folders "bbinstaller" and "adobe".  The "bbinstaller" has another folder called "Documentation" which has "userguide.xml" in it.  The "adobe" folder has "AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe" file in it.

I have verified in the phone setup and only English is selected.

When I go to applications in the Desktop Software, it is only listing all the applications downloaded.  It is not listing Language and Input Support. I am unable to find any button to refresh or change any settings.  I restarted the Desktop Software and still the same result.  Please advice.

Elite II
prince2012

Hi VRaj

First be sure that the PC on which you're performing those steps should be connected to active Internet, Then Connect your device and run BlackBerry Desktop Software , when desktop software recognize your device Click on Applications .

So try it again and see if you're able to view those Installed languages.

Contributor
VRaj

Hi Prince,

The PC was on and internet connection active, then connected phone which started up the desktop software automatically.  Yet the languages not seen in applications.  I have not played around with any settings, so not sure why it is not visible.

Thanks

Elite II
prince2012

Hi VRaj

If you are unable to delete those languages using desktop software , then you can also delete those from within your device. To do that On your Homescreen Go to Options > Typing and Languages > Languages > Under heading Input languages , first Click on Manage and Untick any additional languages that you don't need , finally Click on Remove and delete those additional languages that are in your device .