Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
d1nozzo
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

Delicate Blackberry Curve 8520 "523-Error-Code" Solution Searching

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, im completely new here cause i never had any problem with my BB so far. That sadly changed a few days ago when my device came up with a, to me, very delicate issue creating the following question:

How to solve an 523 Error Code including saving the device data?

Okay. Let' dig into the details a little, shall we?
My Blackberry 8520 just presented me with an 523 Error Code.
I haven't updated its OS (fyi: No idea which version its currently running on, sorry) for a while and i haven't made a backup in quite some time. I've already tried a hard reset as well as an OS update. I cannot connect to it in any way: M
y pc recognises the device but doesn't connect to it, the Blackberry Desktop doesn't connect to it so far that i can get anything from it, neither does "Blackberry Swiss Army Knife" ("no device found") and my BB Protect somehow tells me ive my device is not registered and doesn't include the Protect App ... for the record: It does.! I tried resetting and restarting several times - i can watch it boot right to the point where i have to enter my Code, then it presents me the Error Message 523 again. Once it did work properly - i jumped up: a miracle - but as soon as i tried connecting the device to my computer it returned to its already well known "white-523-error-code-screen".

I'm kinda desperate cause every workaround ive tried so far hit a high level brickwall ...
I don't have the money really to get a new mobile ...
And i don't want to loose the numbers on my mobile :smileysad:(( ....

I can't even reset my phone including loosing all the date cause i don't find a working way to update/reset the os - if only that would work properly ...  I would apprechiate some help on this cause i can't see a way out of it .!?!

Greetz, Me .!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Delicate Blackberry Curve 8520 "523-Error-Code" Solution Searching

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First off, give up on recovering your on-device data...it is 99% certain that it's already gone given this error. Hence, the importance of doing backups before things go wrong...like insurance, backups are neither a reactive nor optional activity.

Next, refer to this for formal information:

• KB24395 "Error 523", "App Error 523", or "JVM 523" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

Your sole chance to get your data is if you can get to boot up, and Safe Mode may be what you need:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, proceed directly to the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post.

And finally, these processes to attempt to reload your OS, and some tricks to hopefully force it to happen.

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below. (Yes, in your circumstance, this is moot.)

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code