Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager Install Problems

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, so please bear with me...

I'm having some trouble installing the Desktop Manager Software, version 4.2, for my 8320.  I'm running Windows Vista.  When I install the program, everything seems to go fine.  I get no error messages or anything.  It goes through the entire installation process, then says it successfully installed and I click on the 'Finish' button.

But, after install, I cannot find the program anywhere on my computer.  It doesn't show up under the Programs.  It doesn't show up in my C:\ drive under program files.  I've tried searching my hard drive for "blackberry," "research in motion," "desktop manager," "RIM," etc. and it finds nothing.  But, when I go into "Programs and Features" in my control panel, "Blackberry v4.2.2 for the 8320 Wireless Handheld" shows up on the list of programs, and I only have the option from there to uninstall it.  What's the deal???

I've scoured the internet and can't find an answer.  I've tried the javascript.dll fix that I found (which was for error messages, which I don't get), I tried turning off User Account Control, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program multiple times, both from the disc and from the website.  All to no avail.

I'm going nuts...it's probably some extremely simple, obvious answer.  If someone could help ,I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Desktop Manager Install Problems

Download and install version 4.6 for Vista.

Download Desktop Manager from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

You will need to install with Administrator rights in Vista.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks, I knew it was something obvious!  Smiley Happy  When I was going to that link before, I was selecting "Blackberry Curve 8320" from that list, which was giving me version 4.2.2.  I never even checked that list for a version 4.6, b/c I thought selecting the 8320 would give me the most up-to-date software version for my phone.  Guess not.

Thanks for the help!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

you are mixing two different things.
there is on one side a Desktop Manager. Most people have 4.5, the latest version is 4.6.

on the other side, you have a Blackberry device handheld OS. Most people have 4.2.2 or 4.3. The latest version is 4.5.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: