Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE
My Device: 8900 Curve

Desktop Manager version 6 - TOTAL CRASH

I have just bought a new laptop (Sony Vaio running Windows 7 and Microsoft Outlook 2010).

I am using the Blackberry 8900 Curve with  Vodafone.

Like everyone else, I could not synchronise my blackberry with Outlook 2010 and was told to wait until August for version 6 of Desktop Manager.

I just installed it!     But when I tried to launch Desktop Manager is simply says "Blackberry desktop software has stopped working.  Windows is checking for  a solution to the problem" and then I get  "  Blackberry desktop software has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.    Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

I un-installed and reinstalled.  No change.

Prior to downloading version 6 I had  downloaded and installed version 5 with Service Pack  - the file name was 501_b049_multilanguage.  That  one installed and launched but there was NO WAY to synchronise Blackberry Curve 8900 with Outlook 2010!

My PC is brand new and "TOTALLY CLEAN" of any special install.  The only application running on this laptop other than Microsoft Windows 7 (32 bit)  and Microsoft Office 2010 (including Outlook 2010) are McAfee (which I disabled to ensure this was not the reason desktop  manager  would not work!) and an HP all in one printer!

IT HAS BEEN A WHOLE MONTH since Microsoft launched Outlook 2010, not sure what the issue is but both Desktop Manager 5 and Desktop Manager 6 have VERY SERIOUS ISSUES which should have been screened through QA.   HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED ALL THESE ISSUES???

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,838
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Desktop Manager version 6 - TOTAL CRASH

UNBELIEVABLE wrote:

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED ALL THESE ISSUES???

I've seen only a handfull with similar problems.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

In previous versions of desktop manager the unexpected close conditions were usually associated with the lack of administration rights (Vista) or the User Account Control  settings in Windows 7.

The third leading cause especially with laptops were either using a docking bay or the power management settings  interfering with the USB control.

As you are using the supported 32 bit Outlook 2010, I suggest that the problem may be due a connectivity issue. We can document this with Kb05143 listed below.

I would also verify that the version of NET Framework installed on your PC.

When you removed and re-installed the desktop manager did you use the clean reload procedure?

I would suggest it if we cannot find the problem through logging.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB05143  How to turn on BlackBerry Desktop Manager connection logging

KB11320   How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Windows

System requirements: BlackBerry Desktop Software

Software

• Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 or later, Windows Vista™, Windows 7
• Microsoft® .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or an active Internet connection
• iTunes version 7.7.1 or later or Windows Media® Player version 10 or later for music
synchronization

Hardware

• Intel® compatible 1GHz or higher processor
• 512 MB of RAM
• USB 1.1 or higher USB port
• Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater

User Guide - BlackBerry Desktop Software

Update Guide - BlackBerry Device Software

Release Notes - BlackBerry Desktop Software

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

JSanders wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE wrote:

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED ALL THESE ISSUES???

I've seen only a handfull with similar problems.

Felling pretty chatty this morning there Joey.

Second cup of coffee at breakfast?

:smileywink:

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE

Thanks for your message.

But my issue is that after I doownload the Desktop Manager version 6  ... it installs the DM6 software and that procedure SEEMS to work just fine.

But then, when later, I click on the blackberry icon that appear on my desktop... well... Desktop Manager will not start AT ALL!  

I cannot even get the main menu screen to come up!    My device is not connected to the PC at all (it need not be) and I still cannot start Desktop Manager!

Everytime I click on the Blackberry icon ... I just get a message that says "Blackberry Desktop  Manager has stopped working.  Windows is looking for a solution".  And then another that says that it cannot find any solutions but will notify me.  And it offers a button that says close the program.

My laptop is a Sony VAIO with Windows 7 Professional.  Brand new.   The only app installed on it -other than Microsoft Office 2010 and Windows 7 Pro -  is some software for my HP all in one printer. 

My next task is to find a way to install Desktop Manager version 6!  but it just will not load!

I have now installed and uninstalled it three times (using Control Panel "uninstall").  No luck. 

After my last uninstall, I even deleted the one remaining Research in Motion folder iin "Program files".  Then downloaded afresh from your website, and tried to install again,  SAME PROBLEM again, I cannot launch your software AT ALL!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Unbelievable wrote:

"I have now installed and uninstalled it three times (using Control Panel "uninstall").  No luck. 

After my last uninstall, I even deleted the one remaining Research in Motion folder iin "Program files".  Then downloaded afresh from your website, and tried to install again,  SAME PROBLEM again, I cannot launch your software AT ALL!

Hi,

You haven't run my software. This is a user to user forum, I have no association with RIM.

You also haven't answered any of the questions I asked or given any feedback the connection log .

So whenever you like, just post the answers and we can try to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE

Sorry - I thought you were RIM!  Sincere apologies.

To answer your questions ... 

1) not sure what you mean by NET frameworks ?

2) not sure what the right setup in USER control should be.  I am the only user with administrator control  of course. 

3)  I will now try what you suggest in REGEDIT to create these log files. Not sure if it will help since I cannot start the program  in the first place!  But first I need to download DM6 again.

In the meantime I had made another attempt - I installed a back version (version 5.01) and that worked just fine!  I would clikc on the icon and it would work.  Then I could connect my blakberry device ... but I just could not synchronise with OUtlook as not supported in version 5.

I then clicked on "check for updates" and said "yes", ie getting DM5 to auto-update itself to DM6.

Again, a different little window came up with a green bar and for 10 minutes or so, it downloaded DM6.  It then asked me if I wanted to launch as soon as the install was finished.  I ticked yes (maybe that's the issue?).  I could see the new Blackberry icon on my  desktop, and it asked me to restart windows, which Idid.  Wheh Windows restarted I clicked on the Blackberry icon - SAME ISSUE AS BEFORE, it simply will  not launch!

So once again I uninstalled everything, and deleted everything!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
siciliafBES
My Device: Not Specified

I'm having a similiar issue.  After installing 6.0 BDM my pc blue screens within an hour of turning on.  I get nothing but "write" errors and "insufficient resources" errors.  XP SP2, 3 GB's DDR RAM.  Issue started directly after install.

I removed the software and did a clean un-install but the issue persists. 

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this or how to fix it?  I'm trying to avoid wiping and re-imaging my work laptop.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE

ANYONE using DM6 with Windows 7 Professional? - TOTAL CRASH

2889iA7B7BE1890B4DA13

OK - I have now tried and done everything you said. 

1)  I do have an active internet connection.  See above.

2) I am the only user with Administrator priviledges and just to be sure I have put the "do not notify" option on so that if a program tries to modify Windows there is no interruption at all!

2890i49AC6A1D9E10A54A

3) I have done all you say in REGEDIT (see above) but no log file is produced.  Obviously, since DM6 does not even launch, I never get to "connect".

See screenshot of the message I get whenever I click on the DM6 icon which you can see to the left !!  IT JUST WON'T INSTALL and I have now downloaded afresh five times, using two different browsers, and installed and reinstalled a good 7 times!   often after really clearing out every RIM subfolder!    I really believe this is a major bug.

2891i77B2F1C0EFCC91B4

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Re: ANYONE using DM6 with Windows 7 Professional? - TOTAL CRASH

Hi,

See if there were any exceptions in the install log.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB15947

How to find the installation log files for BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Please use plain text.