Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
lemongrassdog
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Device Manager Crashes Every Time I Synch

I've reconfigured a dozen times, and Device Manager is still crashing....
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lemongrassdog

I just found my Intellisync folder.  I renamed it, restarted Desktop Manager, and was finally able to sync!

C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pxtxrdh

Okay, after 4 hours, I finally resolved this awful issue that I too experienced.

I had a message that stated, "Blackberry Desktop Manager has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

And a second message that states, "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the problem and notify you if a solution is available."

So I went to the Blackberry site here and they told me to delete my calendar off my device DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!!!!

Fortunately my husband also has a BB Curve 8330 and I just downloaded his calendar right before the crash. Now here is how you get rid of "Intellisync" off your computer to be able to sync after a crash if you are using Vista (I also have MS Outlook 2007):

If you getting an error message on calendar sync delete the "intellisync"
folder and then resync. The folder will be rebuilt.

The folder on my computer is under Users/"me"/AppData/Roaming/Research in
Motion/Blackberry/

After this, I was able to sync absolutely beautifully! Good luck to all of you who have been suffering from lack of information on the BB site.:smileywink:

PS I had to visit the "Crackberry" site to get this useful information. I couldn't get it from BB or Verizon.

Please use plain text.
MarshallMartin

I am using XP Pro, Outlook 2003.  First few times syncing everything workedfine. At some point would not finish sync process and displayed the same error code.  Following the instructions from this thread I deleted the intellisync folder and it worked the first time. 

New BlackBerry user with 8830 and Verizon.

Please use plain text.
wrhodson

This problem and the related “Error Encountered – Error Code 0x8004fd28” (or similar number) are apparently ubiquitous, according to web complaints about the Blackberry.  Each victim, thinks he or she has something different about their situation (or else the problem would surely have been resolved, right?) and lists their suspected differences.  From the logs I can conclude:

- It is operating system independent – Both XP and Vista crash.

- It is Outlook independent – It crashes with both 2003 and 2007.

- It is BlackBerry device independent – Numerous different models crash.

- It is Device Manager version independent – 4.3, 4.6 and possibly others crash. 

It apparently has nothing to do with changing time zones while traveling, Device Manager upgrades, or certain entries.  These are all suspected because they were the most recent changes we made. 

I have spent far too many hours on the phone with AT&T and BlackBerry tech support, reading numerous web logs on the issue, and my own experimentations.  I have concluded that at one time or another any of the following may be recommended and may help:

- Uninstall and reinstall Device Manager (newer version), or

- Uninstall and reinstall Device Manager (same version), or

- Uninstall and reinstall Device Manager (older version)

- (A few PC restarts in between and after installations may help.)

- Using the advanced feature of Device Manager Backup/Restore, clear all the calendar entries in the BlackBerry (suspecting corruption).

- Using Microsoft’s C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\SCANPST.exe [Vista] scan the Outlook .PST file (with Outlook shut down) to find “corruptions”.  Interestingly it always finds some and fixes them, even when run over and over again without even starting up Outlook between runs!)

- Remove the battery from the BlackBerry for 60 seconds and reinstall it, reinitializing it.

- Synchronize with the BlackBerry turned OFF instead if ON.

- Delete the Intellisync folder.

The big disappointment is that it re-occurs and the previous solution may not work this time!  I found that different steps resolved the problem different times, so I developed what I call the “BlackBerry Device Manager Fix Blitz”:  Clear BB Calendar Memory, Uninstall BB DM including settings, Re-install BB DM, Re-configure BB DM, Shut down Outlook, Scan PST file, Repair PST file, Remove Battery from BB for at least 1 minute (can do in parallel with Outlook work), Re-install battery in BB and wait several minutes for initialization to complete, Restart Outlook.  Connect BlackBerry to PC, Say a prayer (This may be the most important step), Synchronize. 

While fixing the problem is not certain, what appears to be certain is that the problem WILL re-occur.  For my wife and me it has occurred about every 3 to 6 weeks for about 9 months.  It occurs more often for me, probably because I use my BlackBerry more heavily.  But here’s a sure-fire fix:  Cancel your contract for the BlackBerry and use a paper pocket calendar.  You will not only NOT have the crashes re-occur, you will save money and the time you will spend repairing the Device Manager software again.  Research-in-Motion needs to get the message that this ubiquitous problem needs to be fixed and fixed NOW!

Please use plain text.