Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
gramercygirl
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Device Manager Crashes Every Time I Synch

I have the BB Curve 8830 on Verizon and Windows 98/Outlook 2003. Just got the smartphone last week and was synching fine until today. Now every time I try to synch, the Desktop Manager crashes and I get the message: "Desktop Manager has encountered an error and has to close," etc. usually while synching the calendar but now pretty much the minute I open the Desktop Manager. I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire program and am still having the same problem. I tried changing the Calendar to synch one way from Outlook to Device as others suggested but same dice.
Please help! This is such a time suck!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shintz

Re: Device Manager Crashes Every Time I Synch

I am having basically the same problem.  I've had my Curve (from Sprint) for about a month and it synched just fine with Outlook (on Vista) up until recently.  Suddenly this week it crashes mid-way through the synch.  It seems to read my Outlook calendar first and write to the Blackberry, but then when it tries to read from my Blackberry calendar, the program stops working and I get an error message from Windows that reads:

"BlackBerry Desktop Manager has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I click the "close program" button and Desktop Manager closes and nothing else ever happens.

I wonder if this problem is related to the huge service pack Microsoft pushed out to my computer late last week.  The first time I've synched since that service pack was installed, it didn't work.  I believe it was Vista Service Pack 1 that was installed.

Can anyone help?  I'm sure if I go to Sprint, they will display their unbelievable incompetence with these issues and they'll just waste my time.  I know that Microsoft will just point the blame toward Sprint and Blackberry.  Help!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mikegwinn

I'm having the same problem.  Windows XP, 8830 World Edition BlackBerry, MS Outlook 2003, Sprint.  When I start a sync it does the contacts then bombs at Reading from Microsoft Outlook Calendar.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled, deleted large calendar appointments, redid sync options, and the abort continues to happen.  Help, anyone with a solution?  BTW - the send the error to Microsoft comes back with no solution, just that it's BlackBerry's fault.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gramercygirl

After talking to the very helpful Scott at BlackBerry Support (Verizon tech help connected me to him), we resolved the issue by deleting the Intellisync folder on my hard drive (the one in Documents and Settings, drill down to your Research in Motion folder and within that there should be an Intellisync folder) and then resynching the BB to the computer. I think someone else posted this solution in another thread and actually Verizon tried to walk me through this step but they weren't pointing me in the exact right direction of which file to delete. It worked fine after that. He said that a calendar item might have been corrupted while synching, which was why it kept crashing when trying to read the calendar data. Hope that helps!
Please use plain text.
Visitor
hayink

And if you can't find the IntelliSync folder? ... My path is Program Files -> RIM -> Bberry -> and a bunch of folders like 1033, IS71 Action Engine, IS71 Connector, etc. THANKS!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shintz

I actually have the same issue -- there's no Intellisync folder showing up on my computer either. 
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rsekany

I have the 8330 and have the same issue. I went thru the same steps that you did and it does solve the problem but then it comes back. I am now getting an error code 0x8004fd28 and a message that says check documentation. When i go to the troubleshooter and enter this code it says it can't find a match. In further research I have read that corruption of the files can be due to reoccurring appointments w/o end dates and or appointments that contain internet links in them etc. Does anyone know where I can find a list of error codes and is there a fix to the issue of reoccurring appointments that don't have end dates
Please use plain text.
iang

[ Edited ]
Aaarrrrgghhh!!!! I have had the self same problem! Come on Blackberry fix the fault..... I have deleted the Intellisync folder but it didn't cure the problem in my case. I had installed Version 4.5 of the desktop software on my Windows Vista laptop running office 2007. After reading other threads I decided to uninstall version 4.5 and go back to version 4.2 with Service Pack 2. This, at the moment, seems to have worked. But I'm dissappointed in the expereience I have had. I'm a smartphone lover and moving to Blackberry was a big step. Up until all the crashes I was totally sold on the blackberry. Since however, I question the stability of the software and the support Blackberry are affording to the solution. Reading many threads this is not an isollated problem. As I said earlier, COME ON BLACKBERRY GET YOUR FINGERS OUT AND FIX THE BUG!!!!
Message Edited by iang on 07-10-2008 07:15 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lemongrassdog

I don't have an Intellisync folder to delete!  Any suggestions?
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
MDawood
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Etasilat

Hi Friends------:robothappy:

I was using 4.5 DT for over a month now,  it was like a breeze but today suddenly it refused to sync with my Vista MS OL2007 what I did simple task re-configured pairing after deleting once....I am back in business again......Just a thought it may just work for all...!!!!! 

MDawood
Please use plain text.