Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

jsridhar
My Device: Curve 9300

Difficulty in creating my {honebook Contacts

Hi. My friend recently gave his Blackberry to me for my use. Whil I have learnt most of the regular features, I am struggling to transfer my phonebook contacts from my previous handset to the Blackberry.

My previous handset was a SAMSUNG GT-S3850. I have saved the contacts from this phone to my pc. One file is *.spb and the other I saved as *.csv.

I am unable to find a way to convert either of them to load them to my Blackberry. Can anyone guide me please?

J Sridhar

India

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Difficulty in creating my {honebook Contacts

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

A few things to discuss...so bear with me...

1) Contrary to how others do things, RIM does not provide a desktop PIM. Others force you to use their PIM and only their PIM. RIM provides a conduit software that functions as a bridge between your chosen PIM and the BB. See this KB for compatible PIM's:

• KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

2) RIM provides a Device Switch Wizard to migrate from another SmartPhone to a BB...but only for compatible devices. See this KB:

• KB05459 How to use the Switch Device Wizard to switch from another smartphone to a BlackBerry smartphone

3) If your old device is not compatible with the wizard, then RIM further provides the ability to import from ASCII and CSV files. See this KB:

• KB04312 Create and synchronize with an ASCII export file
  • KB11194 How to import contacts from a CSV file to the BlackBerry device
  • Sorry, but RIM provides no assistance on how to get your data out of your old device and into the ASCII or CSV format...that's a function of your old device.

So, your choice is, IMO, to use a desktop PIM to manage your data...then choose a compatible PIM (from above). Then, get your data out of your old device and into the desktop PIM. Then, configure the BB to sync with the PIM:

• KB03315 How to synchronize organizer data (calendar, task list, memo list, and contact list) using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.