Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Do I Have To Remove 4.5 Desktop Manager, Too?

Hello. I have been having a common problem. I got an upgrade to Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0 and then I started to get Roxio Media Manager continually popping up demanding that I find a file (which I didn't hav) called "Roxio Media Manager.msi" I researched how to get rid of that annoying popup from Roxio and find that I had to deinstall my Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0 in order to make the Roxio demands go away.

However, I have a copy of Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.5 which seemed to work well, still on my computer. I did deinstall 5.0 Desktop Manager, so far I have not had any intrusions from Roxio.

If I were to go through the routine that is written in the DOC ID KB02206 (How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software) I would have to follow up with a painful and scary routine involving my registry, not something I relish. However, that would get rid of all the Desktop Managers and the software associated with Blackberry and Roxio in my computer.

So, my questions are:

1. Do I have to deinstally 4.5 version of Desktop Manager?
  2. Can I still run my Blackberry on 4.5 Desktop Manager if I have the OS version 4.5.0.124 on my Blackberry?
  3. If I have to deinstall 5.0 and 4.5, what shall I install by way of a Desktop Manager for my Blackberry and where shall I look for this?
  4. Has the problem associated with the Roxio Media Manager been solved? If I reinstall 5.0 (or higher) will I get the same problems?

I am using the OS version 4.5.0.124 on my Blackberry, I have Windows XP Pro installed on my computer.

Thanks for your help in this.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Do I Have To Remove 4.5 Desktop Manager, Too?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Fabienne wrote:
  1. Do I have to deinstally 4.5 version of Desktop Manager?

Maybe...if things are acting funky, it is a good idea to do the clean uninstall and then a clean install.

Fabienne wrote:
  1. Can I still run my Blackberry on 4.5 Desktop Manager if I have the OS version 4.5.0.124 on my Blackberry?

Probably...I normally recommend that one have a version of DTM that is at least as new as the device OS version. So, in your case, DTM 4.5 = OS 4.5.0.124. But, you'd be missing out on all of the fixes that have come since DTM 4.5.

Fabienne wrote:
  1. If I have to deinstall 5.0 and 4.5, what shall I install by way of a Desktop Manager for my Blackberry and where shall I look for this?

The biggest dependency on DTM version comes from if you are synching via USB tether (or BT). Different versions of DTM are compatible with different versions of PIM's...see this matrix:

• KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

Once you've chosen your appropriate DTM version, you can obtain it from here:

Fabienne wrote:
  1. Has the problem associated with the Roxio Media Manager been solved? If I reinstall 5.0 (or higher) will I get the same problems?

Media Manager remains problematic (slows the system, sometimes causes strange things to happen). But I use it quite infrequently, so can't speak to specifics. I do know that the update to DTM 5.0.1 that I received yesterday included a replacement for MM, so perhaps some things have been fixed (though time will tell). You can, from the above link, select a version of DTM that excludes MM if you don't need it at all...that's usually the best way to go if one does not need MM.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Did as you said. I followed the instructions exactly and took off Desktop Manager from my programs, went in and deleted it from my registry (I was aprehensive at first but the instructions were very good). One different thing: since I have XP I made a backup restore point of today before I made any changes in the Restore function of my Windows program. You cannot find and/or backup System.dat or User.dat...if you have XP you must use the Restore function. It's easier and faster, too.

Anyway, I did as the instructions said, I also made sure I printed out how to register the atl.dll files and did that in order.

Fingers crossed, downloaded 5.0.1. with service pack and without Roxio and installed. It works. With the extra bonus of it's sitting on my desktop as a startup icon and not as part of the starting up process every time I start my computer. I left that check off the configuration when I started up.

Thank you very much for such a complete and detailed description of how to do it all. I appreciate your throughness in the reply. Sincerely, Fabienne Christenson

Hall of Famer II

Whew! You had me scared as I read through your most recent post! I kept expecting some bad news to ensue...but, fortunately, it all worked for you. Yay! I am very pleased! Enjoy!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

ha! I didn't mean to inject the element of suspense, too! Again, thanks. --FabienneWoman Very Happy

Visitor

help fixing blackberry curve 8310 please.. APP ERROR 523 i dont kno how too...

i need help to fix my blackberry curve 8310.. it is showing app error 523 but it lets me reset it and i have no applications what so ever and i tried backing up my phone then i uploaded the new apps to my phone i still have no applications or anything i need help....

Hall of Famer II

Re: help fixing blackberry curve 8310 please.. APP ERROR 523 i dont kno how too...

snowflake wrote:

i need help to fix my blackberry curve 8310.. it is showing app error 523 but it lets me reset it and i have no applications what so ever and i tried backing up my phone then i uploaded the new apps to my phone i still have no applications or anything i need help....

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Please go through this entire thread and try each and every item suggested...and report back with explicit details of what works and what does not. For any referenced KB's that do not have a link in the post, you can look them up here:

Let us know.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates