Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
bigdog8829
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Do I need a SD Card Reader?

Hi. I am browsing online for microSDHC cards for my curve (which are at incredibly low prices btw) and I have read in a few spots that uploading music files will take ages from the computer to my SD card on the blackberry.

should i look into purchases a memory card reader as well? or is this a non-issue. I'm perfectly willing to let the files upload for hours is they have to as long as I don't have to drag over the songs one by one. Thanks. 

Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: Do I need a SD Card Reader?

If you are referring to how long it takes to get a song from your computer to your phone here is what I do.  I download a song from limewire usually only taking a minute or two. Then I drag it to my open desktop manager and it converts the file and loads it to the blackberry in like 30 seconds. And if I have multiple songs I highlight them all and drag them over again they get converted taking a couple a minutes for say 10 songs and onto the blackberry it goes.  There is no way I could see it taking hours unless you are doing 100 songs at one, then it might.  Again, there are not hard and fast rules, it is only what I know and what I deal with.

~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

If you don't get a reader and decide to try to transfer a gig of data, it's about 3 times faster using a reader instead of just browsing the card in the BlackBerry's Mass Storage Mode.  I'm not talking about 1 minute vs. 3 minutes - I'm talking 10 minutes vs. 30 minutes.

I'd suggest getting a 3-in-1 card combo - a Micro SD card that comes with a  Mini SD adapter as well as an SD adapter.  Then you can easily move the card from device to device if needed, and it adds very little to the cost.

Also, remember only 2 Gig cards are supported by OS 4.2.0 and earlier.  4 Gig Cards are supported by OS 4.2.1 and 4.2.2, and 8 Gig Cards are supported by OS 4.3 and later. 

Jerry
New Contributor
racerrob

Ok folks, I probably don't even know enough to post here, but here goes. I just entered the Blackberry world with an 8330. I ordered my 3 phone family plan off the internet with Verizon service. So, how do I get my contacts out of my little samsung onto the BB? Also, my new BB came in a brand new box without a SIM card, is that right? Or do I just need to buy some sort of memory card asap? Its amazing to me how much the manual writers "assume" you already know when you buy new technology. I just loaded the Manager on my computer and am trying to learn some of this for my work day tomorrow. I have managed to get my emails to push in and downloaded some Palm info I had on the desktop.

Thoughts? Thanks for any info provided......

Rob

Contributor
MoccasinLanding
My Device: Curve 8300 (EDGE) v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)

JerryD, you mention in the 3-in-one combo: micro SD card, mini SD adaptor, and SD adaptor.

Is there a difference in a micro SD card and a MINI SD?

I am trying to find a source for a microSD card, 4gb, and adaptor for my computer to read the Garmin 880 I just bought.

Even Garmin is sending me the wrong size card, and I have to cancel an order I placed with them for a mere 512mb SD card. They listed it as compatible with my Nuvi 880, but it turns out it is a standard card and not a micro card. I was told on a Garmin forum that cell phone cards are perfect for this GPS unit.

You are discussing exactly what I need, methinks.  Thanks.

Curve8300 ATT
v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
New Contributor
bigdog8829

Thank you for the replies. I'm perfectly fine with it taking 30 min or 1 hr to transfer a gig of data. Once the music is on the phone, well the microsd card, it'll prob stay there for a really long time. Its just a one time deal.

Basically its not a necessary, and therefore, no need to spend the cash.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

BigDog,

I found an 8gb Sanyo card with reader for $35.00 on Amazon.com.

FYI

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

RACERROB,

I didn't see a reply to you on this.

A verizon store can transfer your contacts.

Yes, you do have to buy your own media card.

Welcome to the forum!

Hope this helps!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
AcxiomBill

That's interesting re: Verizon

I just upgraded from a Verizon World Edition (8830) to a Sprint Curve (8330) and it came with a 1 gig card installed, under the battery.  I pulled it out to confirm it wasn't a "blank" filler.  (Don't get me started on why Sprint couldn't/wouldn't activate my existing phone which uses the SAME Network... I know they are all that way)

So, perhaps it depends on which carrier you use.  For me the $99 "everything" plan sealed the deal.  Unlimited calls, unlimited texting, free GPS Nav, Free Sprint TV & Radio, unlimited internet...  Verizon couldn't come within $50 of this plan.  Hey -- plus a 1 gig card worth maybe $12?  LOL.

New Contributor
racerrob

Thanks for the help. Don't know why folks went on by my question. I will get a card asap. I went ahead and manually re- entered my old contacts so I'm in good shape for the basics. Now I want to live stream Air America like i do on my desktop, can't seem to find a way to do that. I set up ORB last night, but the stations it has are limited, but I got it going for the podcasts I want. Anyway, thank you again.

Racerrob