Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Osel
My Device: Curve 9330

Does upgrading my OS affect my injected smartphone?

I have injected blackberry curve 9330 CDMA smartphone and I just want to upgrade it's OS. But I'm afraid that upgrading my OS will take changes on my injected smartphone because of the warning on the label that said:

"After completing the loading operation, you must activate your device wirelessly to continue to send and receive messages and use other BlackBerry services."

just before I upgrade it. I'm afraid that I lose my injected phone number and I would have to inject it again.

I need some soulutions about my opinion. Thank you for your appreciation

Trusted Contributor
rosebags
My Device: bold 9900

Re: Does upgrading my OS affect my injected smartphone?

what is an injected phone?
New Contributor
Osel

Okay, first I'd like to tell you about what inject is.

We all know that cell phones need number for identity. If you know this far cell phones just need RUIM / SIM card as they can operate, some smartphones (especially CDMA) need injection. It means they don't have SIM card slot as other phones. So we need a software called QPST from operator to inject the SIM card number we have to the cell phones.
So the smartphones can work as usual without card inside.

In this case, I have Blackberry Curve 9330 CDMA with injected card.

Trusted Contributor
rosebags
My Device: bold 9900

ahhh ok
cant help you then...sorry
Good luck
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Osel wrote:

Okay, first I'd like to tell you about what inject is.

We all know that cell phones need number for identity. If you know this far cell phones just need RUIM / SIM card as they can operate, some smartphones (especially CDMA) need injection. It means they don't have SIM card slot as other phones. So we need a software called QPST from operator to inject the SIM card number we have to the cell phones.
So the smartphones can work as usual without card inside.

In this case, I have Blackberry Curve 9330 CDMA with injected card.

Hello,

I am a bit confused...for at one point you discuss not having a SIM in the device, then you say (I think) that you do have an "injected card" in the device. As you have correctly stated, CDMA networks do not use the SIM card at all, so you must be doing something else on the device that does not involve the SIM to achieve this "injection" status. From my experience, all actions necessary to enable a CDMA device onto a CDMA carrier involve the carrier, not the end user and nothing on the device itself. And an update on the device should have absolutely no effect on the configuration of the carrier network.

Unless, of course, the specific device model number is not natively supported by the carrier network? If that is the case, then indeed yes the device had to be manually configured for APN as well as extracting the necessary Service Books from another BB device and importing those into this one (since the carrier network will not automatically provide those to BB models it does not support). If that is the case, then yes indeed you might have to re-do those steps for they might be lost upon performing the update.

The normal update processes take a backup of the device and restore from it when the update completes. But, the special steps ("Legacy Mode") to backup/restore the Service Books are not performed, so it is likely that they would need to be re-done after the update completes.

Basically, I think that if I were you, I'd plan on needing to re-do everything after an update...whatever that "everything" was, plan on needing to do it again.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Osel

Thanks for your appreciation and help,

I'm little confused with the steps as far. So, hat about "you need to activate wirelessly after upgrading" message ?

Do I need to re-do all the things from beginning (since I bought my smartphone) ?

That means I have to buy a new SIM card and activate it? Or I just need to re-activate my old network card?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Osel wrote:

That means I have to buy a new SIM card and activate it? Or I just need to re-activate my old network card?

This is why I am confused...you said you were using a CDMA device on a CDMA network, in which case the SIM card is irrelevant. So I am also confused.

Osel wrote:

So, hat about "you need to activate wirelessly after upgrading" message ?

Do I need to re-do all the things from beginning (since I bought my smartphone) ?

As I said:

• "Basically, I think that if I were you, I'd plan on needing to re-do everything after an update...whatever that "everything" was, plan on needing to do it again."

Perhaps you should talk to your service provider. They may be able to better guide you...after all, it's their network with which your device needs to communicate, and only they can look at their systems to work things out.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code