Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Not Specified

Downloading Pictures to computer

I am a new Blackberry owner and my unit was not able to be recognized by the desk top manager on my computer (new HP with Vista).  Reading through this forum, I found that the desktop manager with the media manger can cause this problem.  I downloaded the manager without the media portion and my computer now can communicate with mey Blackberry.  However, my computer will not see the blackberry as an idependent drive to which I have access to move pictures.  How would I transfer pictures to my computer withouthaveing the media part of the desktop manager?

Any help will be verymuch appreciated!

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Downloading Pictures to computer

If you want to access device memory then you need to have media manager installed in your PC. But if you have a media card installed in your device then mode the pictures from device memory to media card. Now connect your device with desktop manager via USB cable and access you media card's picture folders to transfer pic in your desktop/laptop.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

The Problem is that my Blackberry will not be recognized if I run the desktop manager that includes the media manger.  becAuse of this, I installed the desktop manager without the media manager, whioch results in the fact that my Blackberry is now recognized and can sync with Outlook.

Is there a stand alone version of the media manager that can be used?  Or is there a way that my computer can see the Blackberry as a USB drive (this works with my Plam very well), and I could just copy the picture files over?

The fact is, I cannot use the desk top amnager that includes the media manager, but with tis version I cannnot get a hold of my pictures, which options do I have?  I expected the Blackberry to do at least as good as my Plam.

As one can read here in these forums, others seem to have a similar problem with the media manager and I hope you can provide a viable solution for the problem!

New Contributor

Just for your information, Hudsoner and dschlei is the same person, somehow I am registered here twice!
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

I too agree with RIM should take some steps to make media manager more effective so that it don't create hassle for the users. Coming back to your problem you didn't mention whether you have media card or not? If you do have then move you pics from device memory to media card. Now connect your device via USB to access pictures. Like Palm Blackberry could not recognize device memory as storage drive in PC/Laptom. Howeverm if mass storage is turned on then media card can be used like a storage drive.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Do I understand you correct that I have to buy an extra SD card for the Blackberry to be able to transfer media from the unit to the computer?   Once I loaded the immages onto the extra SD  card inside the Blackberry, I can transfer ist to the computer?  Would it not be easier to just insert that card directly into the media card reader on my computer?

I slowly come to the conclusion that I fell for some big overselling technics by the marketing people of RIM!  Too bad that I just bought three of these units!

The software that came with the unit did not work at all, I had to download a new desk top manager that did not allow for synchronization between the unit and the computer because oit included the Roxy media manager.  I had to download the vesion without the media manger to achieve synchrnization, and now you tell me I have to buy an SD card to be able to do things that should work the first time around!

Is there a way to get in contact with the RIM people and ask them how they plan to solve these problems?

I appreciate very much the help you are giving me!

Thanks and have a great day!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

the blackberry comes with an internal memory that is used for Blackberry usage (email, temporary memory, etc.). You can use it to store media datas (pictures, mp3, videos) but it is generally highly not good to do so.

You'd better buy a cheap 4GB microSD card.

Once you have it, you have to format it into the Blackberry Curve format. It is mainly a simple format, and the creation of 4 or 5 folders.

Once that is done, you can use the blackberry as a USB card reader, or use your own USB card reader. Just remember that it's better for you to put pictures in the pictures folder (or a sub-folder), and same for MP3 and videos.

As you can see, once it's done, you just use the windows explorer to drag'n'drop files. No need for the Roxio Media Manager (I have never used it).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: VZW

I got a very cool Kingston Mobility Kit with a 4gb card from Buy.com for 16$ and if you want to do really great backups of your card search the web for Karen's Replicator and you will be good to go.  Great stuff. 

I use the media card and have no problems placing the pictures on the blackberry to the computer.  I connect the blackberry to the USB cable, right click on the start button on the desk top, click on the explore link, then in the window it opens double click the blackberry, then media and then load the picture to the desktop.  Works great for me and I have done a lot of photos.

New Contributor
My Device: BB 9000 Bold
My Carrier: ATT & Germany

I have the BB 9000 Bold - and want to do the same thing..

There is a 8GB micro card with all the photos saved there, vs the BB memory.

I was hoping the BB would appear as a flash drive - just like any other phone, camera, etc.

I have Desktop Manager 4.7 installed - without the Roxio Media software

since everything seemed to indicate that was used to transfer from the PC to the BB...

When I plug in the BB 9000, I get the USB connected message,

but it doesn't show up as a USB drive.  

I have the BB setup options for "auto" on the Mass Storage entry.

Could be a Catch-22.... if you have Desktop Manager and the implied USB Device Manager,

then the USB connection gets intercepted - and you never see it as a plain USB drive ???