Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Duplicate emails

I have recently switched from the Palm Treo to BBerry Curve.   Needless to say, still in a "learning Curve".

The only email I have linked to this is Outlook.    When I receive email in the Outlook Email box (the Globe icon), they come once however all of those same messages appear in the "General Mailbox" (the mail box with the red flag icon) twice.   I am thinking it is perhaps picking up the mail from both Desktop AND my Outlook Email address.   But then again, what do I know ....... hence this call for help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Super Contributor
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

Re: Duplicate emails

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

The icon with an envelop and globe is your BIS (Blackberry Internet service) icon, when you highlight it, it shows your email address.  I have never seen an icon with a red flag, perhaps something customised by your theme or carrier's software, is that the first icon on the list and say 'messages' when you highlight the icon?

The difference between the 2 is that Messages icon capture all the messages in it, inculding emails from all BIS email accounts (you can up to 10 of them), SMS, MMS, PIN messages.  The BIS email icon only display email recevied from that email address.

If you only want the Messages icon, you can highlight the BIS message icon, click on the Menu key (left of trackball) and select hide icon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.
New Contributor

Well as far as the "icon with the flag"  ..... it is an icon of a Mailbox with a red flag, as a residential home has.  It was on the Curve when I powered up and before setting anything up of service or syncing.  

Now your suggestion to "Hide" the icon was helpful and I managed to do that.   The question is does it still fill up with duplicate emails, even though I cannot see it?

Additionally, the fact that it came in to a 2nd receptacle/incoming source was part of the problem, but the real problem was that it was coming in there twice.     As well are my Outlook Calendar events.

I rec'd an app't scheduler yesterday.    When I looked in the bberry calendar it was there twice.   

- One was color coded Green and said the source was Desktop

- The other was Blue and said the source was my email address.

I still cannot help but think it is pulling from 2 places.... that are virtually the same source.

AND by hiding the icon of the "General Mailbox"  (being the mailbox with the flag)  IF I were to want to see notifications of other email sources, i.e.   Yahoo, AOL, Text, etc.    I will now not see those as they will not come into Outlook.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

All emails from all conduits (BIS, BES, etc.) will reflect, by default, in the Messages icon. The additional email icons can be thought of as filters -- they display from Messages only those that are applicable to the account for which the icon is configured. If you act (read, delete, etc.) on a message in either location, the change will be reflected in the other -- since it's not two emails, just a reflection of one email in two places. So, if you delete in Messages, you'll see that it's gone in the specific account icon...and the reverse is also true.

As for the duplicate calendar questions...indeed, that can happen...when a meeting invite is received, it comes in via email, and the BB processes that onto the calendar for that email conduit. But, if you also are synchorinizing otherwise your calendar, the two items can appear -- and they will appear duplicate since each came in through a separate conduit. I had that problem when I was using BIS to sync against OWA...I had duplicate calendar entries on the BB for every invitation I received (only invites...not things I originated). Once I switched over to BES, that problem went away entirely. So, sorry, I really didn't spend much time looking for a real solution to that part of your issues.

Hopefully this helps a little bit!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

You wrote:   

(All emails from all conduits (BIS, BES, etc.) will reflect, by default, in the Messages icon. The additional email icons can be thought of as filters -- they display from Messages only those that are applicable to the account for which the icon is configured.)

-------------------------------------------------------------

THIS Part I get and it makes sense.    But when I say my email comes in twice,  truthfully I guess it is 3 times.   Because I get it once in my Outlook Email Folder and that SAME email shows TWICE in the General Messages Folder.    So when I say it is showing twice,  I mean twice in the SAME place.

AND so when I read the email in Outlook, it will reflect 1 of the 2 duplicates in the Messages Box as read.

i.e.    Outlook received an email;     Messages icon says I have 2;     I read in Outlook;    Messages says I still have 1  (the duplicate)

Hall of Famer II

Ahhhh...now it begins to make some sence (or is that cents?)...   :smileytongue:

By any chance, do you have both a BIS configuration and the Desktop Redirector running for this same email account? If so, they are redundant...and one should be eliminated...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

ok  .... me thinks we are at least on the right track!  

You posed this question:   ".... do you have both a BIS configuration and the Desktop Redirector running for this same email account?"

Ummmm ....  I dunno, and how do I figure that out and how to I stop it or fix it?

See you must understand that I had a group of "IT Experts" combined with our "Tech Purchasing Experts"  added to our friendly "Verizon Experts" alllll assisting me with the set up, and with so many Cooks in the Kitchen,  ..... need I say more!

and BTW,   Cheers to YOU!   Afterall,  it IS 5:00 somewhere :smileysurprised:)

Hall of Famer II

Ahhh...well, since I don't use it, I have to make a guess...somewhere down in your system tray (bottom right of your screen, to the left of the clock) will I think be a running app that is the desktop redirector. It has to be running all the time to do it's thing. You might have to expand the list of things showing in the system tray (there should be an arrow on the left part of it if any are hidden). Hover over each and if any are a BB app, that could be it. If there, then it needs to be shut down and forbidden from auto-starting whenever the PC is booted up...that could be in your Start-Up folder of Windows...maybe...again, since I don't use it...

But, I do know that if you have BIS configured (and, since you have a separate icon for this email, then we KNOW that you have BIS configured) and you have the redirector running, that will result in duplicates in exactly the manner that you describe.

I'll see if I can find a KB with some better help on how to de-configure the redirector...for now, start with this...

And Cheers to you as well! But it's not quite noon where I am...but what does that matter???? :smileytongue:

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

Here's one...not perfect, but it seems to indicate removing and re-installing the desktop software, and then not activating the redirector upon that new install...

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04254&slic...

Or, perhaps this one...it discusses how to install the redirector...perhaps doing something in here that is opposite will reverse it?

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15039&slic...

If needed, here as well is a procedure for doing a clean uninstall of the desktop software.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&slic...

Sadly you are right -- with so many cooks...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

Hi Xcentrik1

I is very easy to tell if you are running both BIS an Blackberry Desktop Redirector.  Simply check your service books, please go to Options > Advanced options > Service books, and report back if you can see:

<your email address> [CMIME] and Desktop [CMIME].  If you see Desktop [CMIME], open it and check the UID on the 3rd line, if it says your email address, therefore you have setup Dekstop Manager with Desktop Rediector.  However, if your UID is S#######, therefore you are using your BB with a BES, therefore there is no point to run with a BIS service.

In the case of the UID is your email address, simply go to your PC control panel > Add and remove programs > Modify the setting to Blackberry Internet Service, and delete the Desktop CMIME.

Those KB links provide by sdgardne are very helpful as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.