Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
JGleason
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

E-mail Storage increase via SD Card?

Hello all, I am wondering if it is possible to increase total amount of e-mail that can be stored on my BB 8300 by adding an SC card, or if e-mail storage is exclusively restricted to the internal flash memory. If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: E-mail Storage increase via SD Card?

emails gets stored on internal memory only. Also remember its dos not store the full message on device but downlaods its as you are opening and scrolling through it.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JGleason
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the info, BBsingh.  The purpose behind the question was for a particular user who insists on never deleting message from his BB / Exchange inbox.  We've been running into issues where he reaching the capacity of the flash memory. Thanks again for the prompt reply! :smileywink: 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello,

it you upgrade the BES to (i don't know which version) and if you upgrade the Handheld Device Software OS to 4.5, you can activate the "search on server" for emails, meaning your user will be able to access mails that are not on his/her blackberry anymore.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BBrunner
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Two things...

1) Is there any feature RIM is developing to let users know when their flash memory is running low BEFORE the device starts auto-deleting oldest messages?  This would make sense.

2) I understand the logistical need for this feature, but as a highly proficient BB/BES/Outlook user I much more prefer to have the historical record on my device, say an email from a contact 2 years ago, rather than sitting in my inbox or a folder on my server.  Here's why...on my desktop I am actively archiving messages everyday to a PST file where I have instant access to them on the machine.  (PS: I do this to keep my exchange account modestly sized and manageable for when I have to VPN or webmail in while on the road)  However, those older emails are great reference on the device because I don't have access to the PST file and I am pretty good about knowing which messages I will need for further use so I am sure to download the full message on my device while it is still on the server before it gets archived so as to avoid the red 'x' of death on the device.

Understand the points but somethings to consider for those who educate users on how best to integrate their device into their communication routine.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello,

for 1) the feature exists, you just have to do "home screen >> options >> status" once a week...
more seriously, you do know everytime the sand glass stays for more than half a second on screen. At that time, your Blackberry starts its garbage collection, starting with memory before beginning to delete messages.

for 2)
you can save the messages you think are important to you. so that the gargage collector will not wipe them. Since you use a PST, you are aware that your mail server cannot host emails. Keep in mind that the Blackberry does not store all the content of a message unless you specify it (it's the "More" thing or the "Auto_More". so if you move your message to a PST, and if you haven't downloaded entirely on your blackberry, you'll only have 2kB of it.

as always, it's the small device that is the limited one. Maybe you can simply keep on the mail server those mails you know you'll need, and keep the condensed version on your blackberry. You then can download it entirely when the day comes.

there is a 3)
on my Curve 8130, I have 4.2 OS which means that when I opened it from the box, I only had 16MB available on the total 64MB internal memory.
If you take Bifocals, he has a more recent OS and has more memory available, within the 64MB he has. So you may consider upgrading the OS of your Blackberry to have more usable internal memory

there is a 4)
there is 128MB of internal memory on the recent Blackberry Bold, so if that really matters to you and if you don't want to be limited by the hardware, change your hardware ! :smileyhappy:

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

This is from Network World 5 apps you can't miss:

http://my.boxtone.com/insight/

From the article

"However, it wasn't until BoxTone released its myBoxTone Insight app for BlackBerry that we started paying the company the attention it deserves. myBoxTone Insight is a simple but extremely valuable free BlackBerry application that provides users with a variety of performance metrics so they can gauge the relative "health" of their BlackBerry, without a PC or other device. The free app also takes all those metrics and graphs them over different time periods-one hour, twelve hours, one day, etc.-so trends can be spotted.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks.;

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-03-2008 03:28 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.