Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520, OS v5

EDGE, but just for a while...

Hi!

I'm new around here and I need some informations.

I've got a BlackBerry Curve 8520, but no BIS, no data plan, whatever, I could connect to a WiFi (grey icon), surf on the internet, use my Facebook app on my phone, everything has been fine for months.

Now, when I turn it on, I've got "EDGE" written on the screen, then, after 5-10 minutes or so, it says "edge". I still can connect to a WiFi and surf on the internet, but I can do nothing else.

Why is it happening just now? Where did I go wrong? I called my provider's assistance center, but they told me it was up to the phone.

What can I do noe?

Thanks in advance.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: EDGE, but just for a while...

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Lower case edge means that your BB sees the carrier data network, but cannot attach to it. Upper case EDGE means that your BB is properly connecting to your carrier data network. Why it is suddenly working differently is totally a guess...my guess is that your carrier changed something on their network and has managed to disable your device from using services that you do not pay them for. For most services (including most that you mentioned), you must subscribe to an adequate data plan from your carrier, even if you only use them via WiFi. My guess is that your carrier finally caught up with you and cut you off from the services you have not been paying them for.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code