Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Earpiece volume and clarity on the Curve

Hello Everyone,

I have been a Razr user for quite a while and am very close to purchasing a BlackBerry Curve from Alltel. Before I do I would really like to get your input on this:

Because I spend a LOT of time making phone calls and work in a fairly loud environment, the earpiece volume and clarity are VERY important to me. Im not sure if The Curve can give me the advantages of a terrific smartphone AND an excellent phone in terms of call quality.

Can you give me your opinion of the earpiece volume and clarity compared to the Razr (I currently use the V9) and also if you think that because the mouthpiece is located a bit further from your mouth vs. a flip style phone that that could cause any problems in a noisey environment. Ive had cell phones before that were weak in terms of call quality and its REALLY frustrating.

Thanks again for you input. It will help me make the right decision!

my best,

Rick

New Contributor

Re: Earpiece volume and clarity on the Curve

of all the greatness that is my BB, the earpiece and quality leaves much to be desired.  if the volume is too high, to crackles badly.  I use it mainly in the car and have bluetooth through the stero, so in the car it isn't an issue for me. 
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find my 8330 excellent for overall call audio quality, but perhaps a 4 out of 5 on loudness. If you work in truly noisy environments, I can highly recommend ANY of the "theboom" company/site's headsets/earbuds. WORTH EVERY CENT!!! Pick the style that suites you.

http://www.theboom.com/

/S

Message Edited by 8f27e956 on 06-12-2008 04:19 PM
New Contributor

Thanks so much for the suggestion regarding theBoom!!!

I researched it a bit and just ordered my theBoom v4. This looks like it will be the answer to my call quality problem in noisey environments.

Great suggestion and thanks again!

my best,

Rick

Contributor

You got it with the 3.5mm curve-compatiable plug (adaptor), right.

/S 

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes, I got the adaptor and the griffin speaker cover.   Have you ever used one before?

thanks, Rick

Message Edited by NikonRick on 06-12-2008 10:38 PM
Contributor

I had the boom "E" style.  Used it extensively with my [previous] 72xx.  My problem was data centers where the systems and the air conditioning air rush noise just overwhelms the standard mic. With theboom, people I talk with thought I was in an office, not the data centers.  Works amazingly in cars too!

Theboom went to another 7250 (jack matched) user when I upgraded to my [new] Curve a couple of weeks a go.  I had fired a question at theboom site asking about the 3.5mm jack thing (and theboom's impedance match to the 8330) and hadn't received an reply as yet. 

The guy who inherited my theboom, as a first-time theboom user, has said, "...we'd have to pry it out of his cold dead hands."  

/S 

New Contributor

Thanks for the input.

Did you notice that there was a "sweet spot" with the microphone placement? Ive read a couple of reviews that have stated that you have to have the microphone placed just perfectly or the sound quality is really compromised. Do you agree with that or did you find that there was some flexibility (no pun intended) in where you could position the mic?

thanks again,

Rick

Contributor

We tried a few headsets before paying the extra bucks for theboom.  And any/all of the noise canceling ones have, if not a sweet spot, a [more] limited range of viable placement.  I never found it a problem, though.  The new guy who inherited mine hasn't said anything about it and per last post "won't give it back."

With headsets generally, my problem wasn't with the mic but rather the ear piece.  My ear lobe/cannel shape I guess ... but getting the mic correct always seem to mean the ear bud piece was just a bit too far out of the ear's sweet spot.  That's why I went for the "E" style.  The ear bud is always in its sweet spot, regardless of how I wore the headband or positioned the mic.

I've had this "problem" with all manufactures headsets, incuding most bluetooth "convenience" headsets out there; it's not a theboom thing.  The "E" style happens to address and solved this for me.

/S

Contributor

FYI:  I resent my question to theboom people about the 3.5mm jack and the impedance match w/the curve and still nothing (except the automated ticket number reply).

The impedance match has an importance because if it's too mismatched, it will affect the loudness you experience.

Theboom and my 7250 were excellent.  Just trying to verify the 8330 before ponying up the bucks.

/S